What's new

"High And The Mighty", "Island In The Sky", Hondo & McLintock on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This DVD will be mine as fast as I can make it mine. :D :D

I wish all Special Editions were as packed as this one.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Very exciting news indeed. I hope the restoration improves upon the original and terrible WarnerColor. If anybody has ever seen it, one would know what I'm talking about.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
While I haven't watched any of these 4 John Wayne/Batjac films, I was only going to pick up THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY (1954) based on its reputation but, seeing all those goodies on the upcoming disc of ISLAND IN THE SKY (1953), I'm not so sure anymore...:)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It seems that modern restorers are able to fix up WarnerColor somewhat. For example, Dial M For Murder and House of Wax both look wonderful on DVD, even if they have a little more grain than usual.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I would love see Hondo released in the 3-D field sequential method but, I doubt if that will ever happen.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, notice how any shot with an optical (dissolves) looks crummy. It's the same for Dial M For Murder and House of Wax. Any shot with a dissolve looks pretty crummy compared to the rest of the film.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea also has this problem, though, it wasn't handled by Warners. All the crummy optical work of the 1950's really makes you appriciate the quality of opticals on 3-strip Technicolor films.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

Actually, without derailing this thread, I'd love to hear from RAH about this title re: his opinion on the problems the disc is plagued with (above and beyond the optical dissolves). Projected digitally on a 96" screen, Giant is barely watchable on my system...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In July, AMC is showing both "The High and the Mighty" and "Island in the Sky" with mulitple showings. Of course, AMC cuts their movie showings up with commercials, but for those that have never seen either of these films, it's a way to avoid a blind purchase before their 08/02/05 dvd release. I've already seen "The High and the Mighty" and have a total recollection of it, but "Island in the Sky" is one title I've seen, but only have a vague remembrance of it. However, I'll probably avoid watching the AMC showings because buying these two titles is a no-brainer for a John Wayne fan like myself.

Crawdaddy

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I'd much rather blind buy them than watch commerical laden AMC ;) Now if they were showing on TCM....

Thanks for the info Crawdaddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks