What's new

"High And The Mighty", "Island In The Sky", Hondo & McLintock on DVD (1 Viewer)

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator

What's a "stem"? I gather it has something to do with sound recording. How do "stems" differ from "magnetic masters"? Could "stems" be the very original, first recording on tape of audio for possible editing and inclusion in a final movie product?

DG

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
By stems, I meant pre-mix elements in general. This could include one or more original dialog, sound effects, and music tracks.

Regards,

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I just got off the phone with Batjac Productions. They think The High and The Mighty will be released on DVD this fall.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Really looking forward to seeing The High and the Mighty again- it has been so long! Also Track of the Cat, a wonderful, strange film.

I am though a little concerned that the dates for the release seem to keep being put back. It was initially going to be 2004, then May 2005 and now fall 2005. I wondered whether there was a problem or is the fall release now fairly certain?

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, I can't remember where I read that it was to be late 2004 or before Christmas 2004 I think was the quote. However, this was before the deal was agreed with Paramount and I guess other studios (probably Warners) were hoping to acquire rights to these titles.So, much of this information may have been based on hearsay on the part of forum members.
I too want the things done right and as you say, it must be all of 25 years since I have seen High and the Mighty, so a few more months won't make a lot of difference. I just hope come August or September we don't read that the titles are now coming early 2006!

William Miller

Second Unit
Yikes! You mean, it really is actually coming out? I still had my doubts.

Yes, the cover looks great. But only if you like "big head" covers, which I detest.

This should have been the cover:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was letting my excitement run away with me; I was referring to the fact that the cover reveals that it's a 2-disc CE and it confirms it's the first in a 'collection' - otherwise I quite agree!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know this doesn't help, but I can understand why Paramount is featuring John Wayne on the dvd case. You got to remember that this film isn't well known outside of film buffs and John Wayne fans. The film just wasn't displayed enough on television and Paramount is hoping this dvd sells well enough for the other Wayne films that will be following it, especially for a 50 plus year film that hasn't been seen by the general public in almost 25 years.

IMO, it's a smart marketing decision.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
TBH, while I do appreciate nice poster originated artwork as much as anyone, I care less about the cover and more about the content...and if a 'smart marketing decision' means more releases of the quality that this promises to be, then they can put 'em in paper bags.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Details on the DVD's:

THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY

Year: 1954
Running Time: 2 Hours 28 Minutes
Special Collector's Edition 2 Disc DVD Set
Widescreen Version Enhanced for 16:9 TVs
Dolby Digital: English 5.1 Surround, English 2.0 Surround
English Subtitles
Introduction by Leonard Matlin
Commentary by Leonard Matlin, William Wellman, Jr., Karen Sharpe, Pedro Gonzales-Gonzales and Vincent Longo
The Batjac Story
Stories From The Set
The Music And World Of Dimitri Tiomkin
Restoring A Classic
A Place In Flim History
Ernest K. Gann - Adventurer, Author & Artist
Flying In The Fifties
Theatrical Trailer
Television Trailer
The High And The Mighty Premiere Footage
Batjac Montage
Photo Gallery

Island in the Sky

THE ISLAND IN THE SKY

Year: 1953
Running Time: 1 Hours 49 Minutes
Special Collector's Edition
Full Screen Format
Dolby Digital: English Mono
English Subtitles
Introduction by Leonard Matlin
Commentary by Leonard Matlin, William Wellman, Jr., Darryl Hickman, James Lydon and Vincent Longo
Dooley's Down: The Making of Island In The Sky
Ernest K. Gann - Adventurer, Author & Artist
Flight School - The Art of Aerial Photography
The John Wayne Stock Company: Harry Carey,Jr.
Flying For Uncle Sam
Theatrical Trailer
Newsreel Footage of Premiere
Introduction to Gunsmoke TV Promo
Batjac Montage
Photo Gallery

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member