What's new

Hidden movies in DVD releases (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The BFI (region 2) DVD of Otto Preminger's The Fan (1949) based on Oscar Wilde's Lady Windermere's Fan with Jeanne Crain and George Sanders includes the 1916 silent film version of Lady Windermere's Fan. The Criterion DVD of De Palma's Blow Out has an early De Palma film, Murder A La Mod from 1968.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
The Truth About Charlie, at least the old version I have, contains an anamorphic version of Charade, the older Criterion version not being anamorphic.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I know the title says "DVD" and not "Blu-ray," but the Criterion Blu-ray of THE SEVENTH SEAL comes with BERGMAN'S ISLAND on the same disc, which was actually a separate Criterion DVD release.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
"Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology" includes the 1951 feature "Superman and the Mole Men" as a bonus. The "Anthology" centers around the Christopher Reeve films and the Bryan Singer mess, "Superman Returns".
This old movie is unrelated to the rest of the set, but just one of many, many, many nice bonuses included in this collection.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I actually have a vhs of Jack Albertson in that other Charlie movie for tv and lazily assumed it was a tv sequel to WILLY. Thanks for pointing that out.
Blu Ray Bergman IS A DVD-and counts of course! I've learned of quite a few hidden gems here.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
MattAlbie60 said:
I know the title says "DVD" and not "Blu-ray," but the Criterion Blu-ray of THE SEVENTH SEAL comes with BERGMAN'S ISLAND on the same disc, which was actually a separate Criterion DVD release.
The addition of Bergman's Island to The Seventh Seal is not exclusive to blu-ray. The standard Criterion 2 disc edition of The Seventh Seal also contains Bergman's Island.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/315487/hidden-movies-in-dvd-releases#post_3866025
Really? But its also a standalone Criterion release, isn't it? I thought it had its own spine number.
Yes, it had its own separate DVD release. I reviewed it on its own.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
MattAlbie60 said:
Really? But its also a standalone Criterion release, isn't it? I thought it had its own spine number.
Yes, it did. Since Criterion had previously released Seventh Seal early in their catalog, I guess they thought that by tossing in Bergman's island as a bonus, those who owned the first pressing of Seventh Seal and were sitting on the fence about upgrading to the new edition had an incentive to do so. I know it did me.

Ripshin

Auditioning
Real Name
Pookie
A friend claims that he saw the 1973 TV-movie version of "The Miracle on 34th Street" as a DVD extra on an unrelated film. It's not the special edition of the original film (THAT contains the 1959 TV version), nor is it on the 1994 remake DVD. Does anyone know what DVD could have the 1973 film as an extra? It has been released unofficially, in what I'm guessing could be a prated version. Just curious...

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Criterion's BD release (and I presume the DVD as well) of 12 Angry Men includes not only the 1955 TV version of 12 Angry Men, but another 1956 teleplay from Sidney Lumet and Reginald Rose, Tragedy in a Temporary Town.

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
The DVD of "House of Wax" (the 1953 version with Vincent Price) includes 1933's "Mystery of the Wax Museum". "Mystery" is shot in an early version of Technicolor, so it's interesting for that fact alone (although Fay Wray doesn't hurt, either).

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Blue Underground's Daughters of Darkness release includes a second feature, The Blood Spattered Bride, which I haven't watched yet but I believe it's based on the same story or legend.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ensign Eddie said:
The DVD of "House of Wax" (the 1953 version with Vincent Price) includes 1933's "Mystery of the Wax Museum". "Mystery" is shot in an early version of Technicolor, so it's interesting for that fact alone (although Fay Wray doesn't hurt, either).
The 4-movie Horror set that TCM put out had the same menu as the standalone version, with a note about the other Wax film included, yet it isn't. Made me so mad!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Fox could have included the two TV versions of Laura with Laura. I have a copy of the first but not the second version done in the late 60s.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
The Hitchcock blurray for Strangers on a Train includes both the US and the superior UK versions.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Criterion's Magnificent Obsession (1954) DVD set includes the complete earlier film version directed by John M. Stahl in 1935.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks