What's new

Hi-def tuner or SVS? (1 Viewer)

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I'd throw this out. I hope it will find an audience. I've never owned a subwoofer and never had Hidef tv. HDTV via satellite or cable is not being considered. I just bought a 46" Sony RPTV and am trying to figure out what to do with my left over tax refund.

I'm optimistic that I may start listening to more music on a forthcoming SACD player, but my current habits are about 70% dvd video 20% cable TV 10% music.

Thoughts? We're also looking at twice as much for the SVS as tuner, which is really going to push it.

Thanks! I know this is kind of a silly question but I'd like to hear opinions.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Well, I would say that if you only spend 20% of your time watching television programming, then go for the SVS. I think you will get much more out of it.

It is really going to be more about what you think you will enjoy the most. Sure, we can give opinions, but that is all we can do.

I had an HD tuner before owning an SVS, but the wife and I watch quite a few HD shows on tv and I watch alot of sports.

Neal

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would say SVS (or DIY sub if you're up to it) based on your listening habits. Also see if your cable company offers high-def, I know Comcast offers locals and ESPN HD for only $5 extra a month INCLUDING the receiver.

Hope this helps :)

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I vote Hi-Def. You have a good TV, no reason to watch crummy standard TV. In fact, you many find regular TV looked better on your old set. Step up to the HD plate!

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

Based on this information, I would suggest the SVS! It will greatly improve your enjoyment of all of the above, especially DVDs.

Since you only watch cable 20% of the time, and an even smaller portion of that would be HD, it's my opinion that an HD receiver would have a much smaller impact on the overall enjoyment of your system than an SVS (no pun intended).

Hope this helps.

JimmyK

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
If you have a cable provider that can issue you a PVR HD cable box, then go cable... as mentioned earlier, it's actually cheap. If you're buying, look at some HD PVRs. If you're not into that, then get the SVS. I can't go back now that I have HD and I'm waiting impatiently for the PVR version this summer. To kill time (and MY return) I'm building a tempest subwoofer.

Take it easy and let us know what you did and your thoughts on it after reviewing the equipment.

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
My brother-in-law talked up HDTV so much that when I bought my 64" HDTV I purchased an HD receiver from Direct TV. I didn't get the 4 channel HD package, but I do get HBO and Cinamax in HD and my local over the air HD channels. I can tell you that with so little content out there I have only turned the thing on 4 or 5 times in 3 months. IMO HD is just not worth getting right now.

On the other hand you state 70% DVD. I can't speak for anyone else here, but DVDs look incredible on my set. Almost as good as any HD program that I've seen. Sure there is a difference between 480P and 1080I, but it is nowhere near the difference between SD and 480P (or I).

Now, getting an SVS subwoofer will with no doubt change your life. The things are absolutely incredible. When I purchased my SVS 20-39 PC+ Ron S. from SVS sent me a reply email that said if the SVS wasn't the best home theater upgrade I made to date, he would refund my money AND pay for shipping. I still have it...

All said, my opinion is go with the SVS and enjoy your DVDs 200% more for 70% of your viewing time. It's just good math!

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
My brother-in-law talked up HDTV so much that when I bought my 64" HDTV I purchased a HD receiver from Direct TV. I didn't get the 4 channel HD package, but I do get HBO and Cinamax in HD and my local over the air HD channels. I can tell you that with so little content out there I have only turned the thing on 4 or 5 times in 3 months. IMO HD is just not worth getting right now.

On the other hand you state 70% DVD. I can't speak for anyone else here, but DVDs look incredible on my set. Almost as good as any HD program that I've seen. Sure there is a difference between 480P and 1080I, but it is nowhere near the difference between SD and 480P (or I).

Now, getting an SVS subwoofer will with no doubt change your life. The things are absolutely incredible. When I purchased my SVS 20-39 PC+ Ron S. from SVS sent me a reply email that said if the SVS wasn't the best home theater upgrade I made to date, he would refund my money AND pay for shipping. I still have it...

All said, my opinion is go with the SVS and enjoy your DVDs 200% more for 70% of your viewing time. It's just good math!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Andy: buy a subwoofer--IMO it will make watching your movie & TV shows a MUCH more fun experience. In comparison, the improvements of an HD image just won't give you the same level of excitement.

And unless something has changed with that format's bass management system, you must use a sub when playing back a multichannel sacd.

LJ

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the responses. Definitely something to think about... I've been itching for a subwoofer for years, maybe now is the time. Or at least soon, might need to save up some more.

As for Subs and SACD, I haven't received my Sony DVPNC685V
yet but the manual is on Amazon.com and it shows options for speaker setup with the player, and you can set subwoofer to none. I have the impression this player has pretty good management capabilities.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Andy,

SVS subs start at around $600, don't they? While they are excellent subs, there are others available for much less that may prove perfectly satisfactory. You can get a Hsu STF-2 from Compusa for about $350, which would leave enough out of the $600 to just about get you an HD stb--you could have a very good subwoofer AND and HD receiver.

If nothing "less" than an SVS will do, I'd get that over the HD receiver, especially since you state you use the tv for 70% dvd.

I find myself still watching more dvd movies than HDTV, though I love both. If I had to give up either my HD box or my sub, I think I'd let the HD box go first.

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input guys. Useful perspectives all around. Fortunately my decision was essentially made for me... a friend of mine is offering to sell me his MartinLogan Descent sub for a ridiculously low price comparable to what I was looking at on the SVS.

Gotta love those college buddies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks