What's new

HHGregg? (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothing special, basically a big box store like Best Buy with mostly TV/Stereo/Appliances/Bedding. Minimal to no software and virtually no computer stuff. They are nice to have nearby to promote pricematching and the A/V is certainly a big step above the Target/WM/Meijer brands and usually a lot more choices than Sears. The stores are a bit more compact in general compared to Best Buy and none of the stores have dedicated showrooms. I haven't found the employees to be particularly knowledgeable especially compared the BB Magnolia departments.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry about that. Other than trying to upsell generally the Magnolia guys at least seem to try to understand what they're selling. I guess maybe I've just gotten lucky finding a couple folks who like A/V instead of just the job.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I recently got my first-ever HDTV from my local HH Gregg--a Mitsubishi DLP. Fair, honest and knowlegable. Definitely check them out.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I was watching Letterman tonight (or was it Jimmy Fallon?) and saw a commercial for this chain for the first time ever, all Stores seem to be in the Broward county area, I welcome the stores, like someone said , is good for competition.

Wayne_Marshall

Auditioning
Real Name
obiwayne
I worked for HHGREGG here in VA and I can give you the low down.

All salespeople at the store are on 100% commission. While that usually means that the salespeople take the time to learn the products and are able to advise you on your purchase, sadly it is not the case. The main moneymaker for HHGREGG are the extended warranties. One of the salespeople I worked with made lots of money and was the top salesperson in the AV department, but when he bought a TV he wasn't sure how to even hook it up properly or what the difference between HDMI and component cables were.

He was good at convincing people to purchase extended warranties.

Overall, it is a good alternative for appliance and AV purchases. It is best if you do your research before you go in and don't allow the salesperson to take the lead. There are some good people working there, but most are just looking to sell you a warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks