What's new

Hey Warner! where are the girls? (1 Viewer)

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
why not a box set with female stars? so far you have given us 2 boxes with male stars (tough guys collection, gangster collection) but non with the women( I don't think this one counts http://www.amazon.com/Leading-Collec...897642?ie=UTF8 )

Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Greta Garbo, Jean Harlow, Norma Shearer, Vivien Liegh, Judy Garland, Barbara Stanwyck, Katharine Hepburn, Greer Garson, Grace Kelly, Rosalind Russell, Myrna Loy
why not a big 8 movies collection?

Waterloo Bridge & The Swan would be perfect to be included

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
This concept would work if there was a common theme (a la gangsters, crime, film noir or pre-Code) that you could hang the collection on. But Warner seems more interested in issuing boxes grouped by star (Bette, Joan, Garbo, Judy, etc.)

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
Im very sure Warner can come up with a theme for the girls

I can think of 38 Crawford & 34 Davis movies that are DVD worthy
However there is gonna be a Crawford vol.2 & Davis vol.3 next year so there is 33 Crawford, 29 Davis left. they can at least put 2 or 3 Crawford/Davis movies in a "Ladies Collection"

There is only 5 Garland movie left(The Pirate,The Clock,Little Nellie Kelly,Listen, Darling,Everybody Sing)

Elizabeth Taylor & Lana Turner also has some movie that could be included

Corey

Screenwriter
yeah they might as well box the rest of judy's movies together, release the remaining garbo talkies (6 left) and lana turner needs her own set now.

Corey

Screenwriter

i'd love to see the hard way, out of the fog, and the man i love released on dvd. i think joan crawford v2 or jean harlow will be the first female set of 2007.

Charles H

Screenwriter
A Stanwyck Box? NIGHT NURSE, EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE, JEOPARDY (quite a tour de force), THESE WILDER YEARS (with Cagney), LADIES THEY TALK ABOUT, TO PLEASE A LADY (with Gable), MAN IN A CLOAK, and an excuse to finally bring out EXECUTIVE SUITE....

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
I think they will release a Katharine Hepburn in May 2007 to celebrate her 100th birthday.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Please Warner. Give us a scopp of what's coming early 2007. I can't wait for the Harlow and Crawford boxes, as well as the mentioned Ginger Rogers collection (though I think this won't be out until 2008). Esther Willians, Bette Davis Vol. 3 and a Katharine Hepburn box would be must buys too.
Can't forget the wonderful Barbara Stanwyck. And since I know she won't have a box set of her own, I would love to see more Ann Sheridan on dvd.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I am waiting for a Natalie Wood Box from Warner.

Inside Daily Clover
Splendor In The Grass: SE
Penelope
Sex and the Single Girl
Gypsy
Cash McCall

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There are a lot of films with female leads from the Warner/Turner catalog that are worthy of DVD release:

Green Dolphin Street- with Lana Turner and Donna Reed
I'll Cry Tomorrow- starring Susan Hayward
Light In The Piazza- starring Olivia deHavilland, recently made into a Broadway musical which was televised this year live on PBS
The Valley of Decision- with Greer Garson (who should have her own box set!)
Escape- Norma Shearer battles the Nazis to save Robert Taylor
Confession-Kay Francis kills for love (now, this is a star who needs rediscovery a la Louise Brooks. Before Bette Davis, she was the queen of Warner Bros., and did many a melodrama that made her Warners' answer to both MGM's Norma Shearer and Greta Garbo- at one point, she was the highest paid actress in Hollywood!)

-mind you, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Just to prove that there are a lot of major and lesser-known films from the Golden Age with stong leading ladies that deserve a DVD release!

Corey

Screenwriter
smilin through with frederic march and norma shearer is the 2nd most requested on title not on DVD acording to the TCM website.

Corey

Screenwriter

speaking of broadway melody, they should have an eleanor powell set icluding:

-broadway melody of 1936 & 1938 (double feature)
-lady be good
-rosalie
-born to dance
-ship ahoy
-honolulu

Corey

Screenwriter
i hope they have those eleanor powell musicals on the release schedule because she most likely wouldn't get a set devoted to her.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm hoping Warner Bros. is going to release "RAINTREE COUNTY" starring Elizabeth Taylor for its 50th Anniversary next year. I'm eager to have this on DVD.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks