What's new

Hey im new here help please (1 Viewer)

Ross_-_GoLD

Auditioning
I have a new 32' sony wega and a sony dreamsystem what i am trying to do is have the surround sound on all the time even when im watching cable but i dont know how to do that i have a HD cable box and there is a digital out in the back of it but i dont know how to connect it and if its even possible. Thanks in advance.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
The only way you'll get "Sourround Sound" all the time is if every program you are watching has a DD 5.1 soundtrack, or if you use a DPL mode from your receiver to create a surround effect for you. Most of the soundtracks on cable or Standard Def. OTA are going to be stereo or mono. The exceptions are PPV or premium stations like HBO or Showtime, and of course HDTV broadcasts that have a DD 5.1 sound track.

Make Sense?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming you have a Motorola 5000DCT box, if not, ignore below.

Connect the digital out on the back of the cable box to a digital in on your receiver. Assign that digital in on the receiver to your TV video (it may be that the digital in for the TV is hard wired or already assigned, check your manual). Activate the digital out on your HD box (again, check the manual). Turn the audio out on the TV to "off" to prevent sound from the TV speakers. You will now get audio from the HD box to your receiver through the digital audio connection. It will not be DD 5.1 or even surround sound all the time, that depends on the source. Most TV shows are stereo or pro-logic. Some digital shows or movies are DD 5.1. However, you should get all audio, regardless of format, from the digital connection.

Ross_-_GoLD

Auditioning
Thanks for your help. I have a digital out on the HD cable box but i dont see one on my all in one dvd system.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
What make and model is your all-in-one? You may not have the capability of hooking up an external digital source. This is one of the benefits of a separate receiver and DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks