What's new

Heroes season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Wow!

I went into this with very low expectations. But, I have to admit that Heroes really surprised me.

I thought for sure NBC would be serving up a watered-down X-Men knockoff, but by and large Heroes steers clear of that territory and is a much better program as a result.

What we have here is super heroes for mainstream TV viewers, and darned if it doesn't succeed for the most part.

I agree that the hour was a bit uneven at times, but it also contained several nice beats that were a genuine pleasure to watch.

The big surprise for me, though, is that Heroes is not a total geekfest designed for fanboys... who, in the end, may well be put off by its mainstream story telling. Personally, I think the mass accessability it throws out there may just prove to be the key to its long-term success.

If Heroes finds an audience, it has the potential to be a monster breakout hit. For now, it certainly beats the heck out of sitting through another dreary crime procedural!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
All I was saying was I enjoyed the previews for upcoming developments shown at the end of this episode more than the episode itself.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
D'oh!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

My bad.

Must be time for bed. I can't think straight anymore... :laugh:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The clock was in Japanese. Perhaps the characters are the same, but it was in Japanese.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I enjoyed the show. Granted, not as much as the animated superhero shows, but still, I thought it was very good.

But I was surprised that in the beginning, the professor in India was giving a lecture in English, and talked to his friend (I believe) in English as well.

With the clock, someone told me that the Japanese use Chinese characters for writing. So maybe that is why it is in Chinese.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I really liked this show. I also liked that they made a reference to X-Men since I said to my wife "oh, I hope they're not ripping off X-Men" before the show started, so it looks like they're honoring the comic and doing their own thing with it. Already added to the season pass on my TiVo.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Although it is nice that they aren't "ripping off the X-Men", at least the X-Men had interesting powers.
I know they are trying hard to come across as "this could really happen" but I don't see a single power that can help save an individual, let alone the earth.
I love how the dude in the fire can magically get up and walk when Unbreakable Girl shows up. If she had to drag him out, could she?
And why does he have to test flying from buildings? I know this was a misdirection with the brother, but if you really could fly, shouldn't you be able to take off from where you are at?
Excuse me bank robber while I climb the 10 story building to stop you!
The teleport thing makes no sense to me. I could buy short distances but New York? Just by looking at a picture? That isn't genetics, that is magic. Can he teleport to the moon by looking at a picture of it?
And the Ali Larter stuff is more suited to a Sci Fi channel horror movie to me. I still don't get it and I'm afraid when they explain it, it won't make much more sense.
I'll give it a few more episodes.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I suspect I would've enjoyed it more if both parts were shown back-to-back. As is, this first hour was pretty ho-hum until the last minute.

I will say this is the first Lost knock-off that captures the feel of Lost.

Of course it's magic. Super heroes are magical beings. The writers might throw in some technobabble about radioactive spiders, the rays of the yellow sun, or mutant genes, but no matter what terminology they use it's still magic.

Shaun

Second Unit
Show definitelly shows promise, but I don't really see it being anything greater than another Surface or Invasion.

It may come off as a promising Lost knock-off, but to me it's missing one thing that Lost has, and that is a charismatic cast.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Friend is at least half-right because those characters are also Chinese characters for numbers. I don't know if the Japanese use the exact same characters for numbers.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I watched it...but I think it will turn into one of those "Oh, I missed an episode? Oh well..." type of shows. Didn't really grab me.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
It was ok, nothing great so far. I'll still tune in to see if it gets better. We got burned by so many shows like this last year that it is hard to invest yourself in any new show. Bring back Surface will you!??

What is it about trying to simulate amature video that makes it look so fake? It wasn't just this show, it seems like any where they do that 'home camcorder' look it always jumps out as "look out, they are about to do some trackmotion compositing fx to make it look like something really cool just happened in real life." Maybe it is just me, but it always takes me right out of what is going on. The last time I think it worked for me was in the movie Signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks