What's new

HERO (R3) DTS - Anyone else having problems? (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I just picked up the DTS 2-disc edition from CD Wow. Its a great film, but I had two issues with the disc...

* The film jumps forward 10 seconds at 49.13. The layer change?

* When I got to the end, the picture started breaking up into colored blocks.

Cleaning the disc didn't help. I noticed a dot pattern on the surface of the disc, as if it had been gently splattered with something. It was under the plastic, so I couldn't do anything about it.

I requested a replacement from CD Wow. As usual, they dispatched it with speed and I received it yesterday. I was disappointed to see the jump at 49 minutes again, which made me believe that a clunky layer change is responsible.

However, while the credits broke up again (although later than on my first copy) now the opening titles also showed break-up/ pixelization! Spatter was present again on the disc.

Does anyone else have a copy of the disc, and how was your experience with it? I'm wondering if its worth getting another copy or just living with the first one I received.

My player is the Malata 996.

Thanks for any help I get!

Real Name
Anthony
Bleddyn ! I had EXACTLY the same problem, at exactly 49.13 -
that fight in the ring of sand.
I also got my disc from CDWow and returned it (and I agree - CDWOW have the best and quickest returns policy I've ever come across )but the replacement did exactly the same thing, at exactly the same point.
I tried each disc on three machines and only one of them managed to get past that moment. The freeze was still apparent. I didn't get any pixellation at the end but one machine had a bit of trouble accessing the features and showed some pixellation at the disc intro.

It must be a mastering error at that precise point. Maybe CDWOW's got a bad batch. I gave up after the second disc and just got a refund. I think the film's getting a theatrical release in the UK nextyear, so hopefully a DVD will follow.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
It seems that some folk who got copies from CD Wow are fine. I've asked for another copy, and if that one's bad too, will probably keep the first one, as its not as bad as the replacement!

Anthony - I do suspect that the 49 minute hiccup is a layer change. I always jump forward 10 seconds at this point. I had no trouble getting past that point, though.

This is a nice copy of a great film. I'd really like to get a decent copy.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I just received my third duff copy from CDwow. I'm returning em all together and getting a refund. I'll try a copy from another vendor with fingers crossed!

Mike-McG

Grip
I have the same problem with mine. CD Wow sent me a very nice email explaining that they did receive a bad batch, but they weren't able to confirm that they've rooted out the problem. The film was so great that I would pay for it again, just to have a properly functioning copy.

I was able to watch it, but with the layer change problem others have mentioned above.

For the people who are not having any problems:

Do you have the 2-Disc Region-3 version?

Also, did you purchase yours from CD Wow? (n/a to those who've already stated otherwise)

Runar_R

Second Unit
I got my 2-disc R3 version from cd-wow, and it works just fine. Got in in august. My dvd-player is a pioneer dv-350

Real Name
Anthony
I don't think it's as simple as just being a bad batch.
Strangely enough, one of the bad discs I got played pretty much ok on the PIONEER DV350 as well. This player also coped with the R3 CITY OF GOD which didn't play on my two players - a PIONEER DV515 and a PANASONIC 575 - both of which were more expensive than the 350 !
It's definitely a bad pressing but response seems to be player-specific as well. Still wasn't perfect on the 350 but certainly liveable with.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Me again!

I just received a copy that I bought from DVD Asian (shipped next day, and only took two days to reach me - excellent).

I've not had a chance to watch the disc all the way through, but the 49 minute hiccup on all my CD Wow copies is finally gone, and I didn't see any break up at the beginning or end titles. Looks good!

This copy is obviously different from my CD Wow copies - on the front cover, bottom left, there is a notice actually printed on the artwork, proclaiming 2003 DVD-VIDEO EXCELLENCE AWARD. Also the case is a standard two-disc case, with a flap inside for disc 2. All my CD wow copies had a disc inside each side of the case, with the insert stuck in two central plastic "clips."

It really does look like CD Wow had a bad batch.

By the way, anyone know how to find those "hidden menus"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks