What's new

HERE'S LUCY: SEASON 3 - JUNE 15TH, 2010 (1 Viewer)

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
In college, I was a Radio, Television and Film major at the University of Maryland. I took a course in 1983 called Television Programming. We simulated three television seasons. Some of the class were networks, some advertisiers, and some television producers. We sold the shows to the networks, who then got advertisers to back the show. A mock TV Guide was created, listing the network shows airing against each other, and students on campus were asked to say which programs they would watch. Ratings were compiled from this survey, and shows were either cancelled or renewed based on the response of the "sample" audience.

I was a TV producer in the simulation, and created a show for Lucy. The premise? Lucy is living in a retirement village, sharing an apartment with Eve Arden. Gale Gordon played the mayor of the "village", and was Lucy's constant foil. Granted, in many ways it was the standard Lucy sitcom, but the retirement village gave it a "Golden Girls" feel, which would have allowed her to branch off into new territory. Teaming her with Eve Arden as her co-star a-la Vivian Vance gave her a partner.

Interestingly, the show debuted in the mock second season and did well enough to be renewed for a sophomore season. Remember, these were college kids that reviewed the TV guide and took the survey. The show performed well both seasons, and would have been renewed for a third season if the simulation had continued.

It is interesting to play the "what if" game... And it is a shame that "Life with Lucy" was the disapointment that it was. A fresh spin really could have made the difference. The college kids in 1983 seemed to take to it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
For those who haven't purchased the First 2 seasons of the show, I was at my local [COLOR= #ff0000]TARGET[/COLOR] yesterday and it looks like they are swicthing out a lot of their 2 pack season sets for new ones and now they have [COLOR= #ff00ff]Season 1 and Season 2 of HERE's LUCY [/COLOR]for just $19.99!

this is a huge steal! I paid 19.99 each as they were released. Hopefully those sales will help the show. MPI did a great job with these releases. The releases look great. Nice prints were used etc.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Only $10 a season?

And I was excited when I got Seasons 1 and 2 at half the MSRP ($14.99) on Amazon a few weeks ago.

It sounds like these are being "dumped," which implies they didn't sell well -- yet, Season 3 is still on the schedule for June 15.

I hope they complete this series, because I believe the final three seasons were somewhat better than the first three.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Only $10 a season?

And I was excited when I got Seasons 1 and 2 at half the MSRP ($14.99) on Amazon a few weeks ago.

It sounds like these are being "dumped," which implies they didn't sell well -- yet, Season 3 is still on the schedule for June 15.
Not necessarily.

Target 2 packs include season sets of The Golden Girls, House, Roseanne, Everybody Loves Raymond, Family Guy, and brand new, not out in most stores yet releases from Mill Creek of the Stephen J. Cannell shows.

mrmike898

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Wagner
An introduction is provided for the "Make Room For Granddaddy" episode by none other than 'Kathy Williams' herself, Marjorie Lord. The episode, "Lucy Carter, Houseguest" clocks in at an unedited 25:16. Not surprisingly, a short PSA for St. Jude featuring Marlo Thomas immediately follows the episode.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I went to Best Buy to pick up my Here's Lucy Season 3 and it seem's I out witted myself. Best Buy has them on back order and will not say when they will come in. I checked Borders and I phoned Barnes&Noble. Barne's told me they must have released just a few to see how the series will go. I knew MPI would not do that but the bottom line one copy was ordered and it did not come in. I also went to Target which said the double packs only at this time. I placed my order to Amazon and did the Lucy Show Season 2 as well. Jack have a great summer vacation!!!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Got mine today from Amazon... Love the extras- Lucy at work is fascinating to watch- Not done with the Season 2 eps, but still looking forward to this one as well...

Thanks Mark- summer begins officially for me tomorrow!

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered mine at Deepdiscount for $15.29 one of those 25% off sale I believe the sale ends on the 20th!

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Well, it's taken me until season three to realize that Here's Lucy is more variety/sitcom, than traditional laugh-fest! I'm up to episode 13 of the new set and it's almost a dance/sing-a-long sequence every other show. While this can be pleasing, the material wrapped around these musical episodes doesn't always shine.

It's amazing how Lucy managed to attract some truly awful writers to her post I Love Lucy series. Although the HL has it moments, especially with the return of Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll Jr., the popularity of the program can be mostly attributed to the presence of Lucille Ball herself and not the material within. Despite this I'll still be collecting all 6 seasons!

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
On a lighter note, Carole Cook's introductions are an absolute riot! You can't give these a miss. Funny, vain, over-the-top, Carole's a true star in these little vignettes.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
So true, Brandon. What I didn't expect to find was that I am now enjoying these more than The Lucy Show, and I expected the reverse to be true.

BTW, has anyone found this available in stock in any store? I can't seem to.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Brandon Gantt

Well, it's taken me until season three to realize that Here's Lucy is more variety/sitcom, than traditional laugh-fest! I'm up to episode 13 of the new set and it's almost a dance/sing-a-long sequence every other show. While this can be pleasing, the material wrapped around these musical episodes doesn't always shine.

It's amazing how Lucy managed to attract some truly awful writers to her post I Love Lucy series. Although the HL has it moments, especially with the return of Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll Jr., the popularity of the program can be mostly attributed to the presence of Lucille Ball herself and not the material within. Despite this I'll still be collecting all 6 seasons!

I've read several books about Lucy and her TV shows, and I believe the reason her scripts deteriorated so much is that she made her cousin the producer and her husband the executive producer (it was his job to buy the scripts), and they had absolutely no clue whatsoever about what makes a funny TV show.

The fact that Lucy didn't seem to know either is very strange, but all the books credit Desi Arnaz for the success of "I Love Lucy." He often had to talk his wife into doing things which she didn't find funny -- and they usually turned out to be hilarious, of course.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well, Desi warned her when he walked away from overseeing the initial Lucy Show episodes NOT to let the writers pawn off inferior material off on her simply because she could always make it look better. But she didn't listen. And of course, millions (myself included) abetted her by tuning each week, even when the shows were nowhere near what her talent deserved.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I stuck it out for years, but I finally gave up after seeing the HERE'S LUCY episode where they went to live in Africa. I think they had a gorilla for a butler, or something.

It wasn't just that it wasn't funny. It was excruciatingly stupid. I couldn't imagine anyone older than 5 laughing at it.

Over the years, I've met so many fans of I LOVE LUCY, who could talk on and on about their favorite episodes. If I asked them what their favorite episode of HERE'S LUCY was, I'd get a blank stare.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
OMG, Joe, I remember that episode. And the tse tse fly! It was just hideous. I must have been about nine when it aired.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
You've got to watch the documentary: Lucy Meets the Burtons: A Comedic Gem. It postulates that Lucy knew that she had been working with inferior scripts, and because of this she went to great lengths to secure the services of Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll Jr. It really is a "warts and all" account of one of Here's Lucy's finest episodes.

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I've read several books about Lucy and her TV shows, and I believe the reason her scripts deteriorated so much is that she made her cousin the producer and her husband the executive producer (it was his job to buy the scripts), and they had absolutely no clue whatsoever about what makes a funny TV show.

The fact that Lucy didn't seem to know either is very strange, but all the books credit Desi Arnaz for the success of "I Love Lucy." He often had to talk his wife into doing things which she didn't find funny -- and they usually turned out to be hilarious, of course.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I believe when Lucy met Richard Burton at a party and he told her he was a fan of "her show" and would like to be on it, she realized he was thinking of "I Love Lucy" and probably hadn't seen an episode of "Here's Lucy."

So she asked (begged?) Madelyn and Bob to put their anger aside and write her one more episode.

However ------

Although it was the best script "Here's Lucy" had had up to that point, is it really that good? The funniest thing in it is a recycling of a routine from the early days of "I Love Lucy." Could they really think of nothing else?

Also, isn't it ridiculous to think that Richard Burton would walk around with a ring worth millions of dollars in his pocket, and carelessly leave it behind?

None of the scripts Madelyn and Bob wrote for "Here's Lucy" were truly funny. I believe for "I Love Lucy" and the first two seasons of "The Lucy Show," when the scripts were good, that Madelyn and Bob came up with the stories and visual humor routines, but the funny lines were contributed by Jess Oppenheimer, and later Bob Schiller and Bob Weiskopf. Funny lines were not Madelyn and Bob's strong suit.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I love Lucy and watching "I Love Lucy" was one of my earliest memories in life. But, in addition to the things pointed out above, I never could get past the lack of continuity on "Here's Lucy." They are all performing in various shows, week after week and show after show, sharing the stage with the likes of Jack Benny and Ann-Margret, and when Wayne Newton asks Craig if he's had any experience, they have to mention some school function he was in as a kid.

At least with "Here's Lucy" Lucy's character had a small amount of responsibility and maturity since he was a mother to two teenagers. It was ridiculous how Lucy Carmichael forgot all about her kids after season three. In one season four episode, she couldn't even remember her son Jerry's name and referred to him as Jimmy. Wasn't there anyone on staff who had the guts to correct her on this?

However, despite this, I'm surprised at how many of the Here's Lucy episodes I am enjoying, despite their overall lameness. I think it's a comment on the state of comedy today that Lucy's style of humor looks more timeless. And back in the late sixties and early seventies, we took all those talents who appeared on the show for granted. They could do wonders with bad material, and often had to.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I have always felt that nostalgia is perhaps the only reason to enjoy the HERES LUCY series. For many of us who were kids in the 70's, it was the one that we saw in first run. Having been away from it for 30 years, I was also surprised at the inferiority of the many "animal episodes".

Lucie Arnaz herself has said those episodes don't hold up and that it was crazy for them to keep running into animals all the time (like monkeys).

But does it keep me from buying and watching? Nope. I'm a completist where Lucy is concerned, and I do find something in each episode she does that I'm happy I saw, even if the material surrounding it is poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks