What's new

Here's a nice idea: A music DVD packaged with a CD. (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Last night while perusing CDs at Circuit City, I found a neat package. In one jewel case for $27.99 was the Rush Moving Pictures CD and the Rush Chronicles DVD. The DVD has videos for many of Rush's hits. I have never seen this sort of package before. I am aware of the one Boz Scaggs title that combined a CD and DVD-Audio disc, and I know that the Stevie Ray Vaughan box set includes a concert DVD. However, I have seen the sort of CD/DVD package that I saw for Rush. Is this a new marketing effort? How many labels are doing this? Anyway, the Rush package is nice, but I already have the Moving Pictures CD. It would be nice if the package were a bit cheaper too. Still a nice idea.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

This appears to be something new, but a cool idea. The upcoming George Harrison "Brainwashed" will also have a special edition with cd and dvd as well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Micahel, thanks for the info. on the new Harrison title. Overall, I like the idea of packaging a CD with a DVD. The only problem is that something like the Rush combo pack has come out after many people probably have the CD (or the DVD) already. As long as you can purchase either disc separately, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I really like the idea of packaging DVDs with new releases on CD. It would be really nice to see more new greatest hits compilations packaged with DVDs (either music videos or concert footage). A lot of good compilations have come out in the past few months, and DVDs would be a nice addition. The thing I would not want to see is consumers being forced into buying such combo packs, and therefore, spending more. I still want to see the CDs available separately.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've been meaning to pick up Chronicles. If I see the combo for a low price, I'll get it and give my Moving Pictures CD to someone as a gift. Gotta spread the Rush goodness around.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, just note that Chronicles is an older title (1990). I feel the remasteredd retrospective discs (two separate volumes), which came out more recently, sound better. Just my opinion.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Cowboy Junkies Open Road has both an extensive dvd and a live concert cd. The live concert cd sounds excellent IMHO. Most of the DVD also sound excellent. The complete package was 24.99 at BB:)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan, thanks. Good to see another such combo pack. I have no Cowboy Junkies, so if I am ever inclined to pick up a disc, I'll keep this in mind.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I was referring to the Chronicles DVD, not the CD "best of." I'm a huge Rush fan and have all the albums (though the Chronicles CDs were my first exposure to them). I now just want those cheesy videos.

NP: Miles Davis, Complete Live at Montreux, disc ... aw, heck, I can't keep count anymore.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I bought the latest Queens of the Stone Age album it also comes with a DVD apparently (haven't opened it, it's a gift).

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
My sister-in-law just sent me a gift of the Fresh Aire 8 DVD by Mannheim Steamroller. In the package were 2 discs:

1) An HDCD of Fresh Aire 8
2) A DVD which on one side was the DVD-Video version of Fresh Aire 8, along with tons of supplemental material. On the flip side of it, was the DVD-A of Fresh Aire 8.

Talk about packing a lot of value into one package!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
There are a few of those out there... Didnt the new DaveMatthewsBand CD have a DVD Extra in it???

I know theres a new edition of SYSTEM OF A DOWN's TOXICITY that also has a bonus DVD.

KrisM

Second Unit
I bought two CDs this week that had a DVD included, the new Foo Fighters and Chris Robinson's first solo disc. I haven't checked out the Foo Fighters DVD yet, but I watched the Robinson disc yesterday. It was only about 12 minutes and really wasn't all that interesting, but the CD only cost $14.00CDN so I can't really complain. I think it is a cool idea as long as the price remains decent. The Foo Fighters disc was also about $14.00CDN.

Regards
KrisM

NP - Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Boy, I'm a moron. I don't know why I assumed you were referring to the Chronicles CD. I started a thread about the combo pack with the Chronicles DVD, after all. I'm just a dunce. :frowning:
All,
Thanks for helping to compile a list, so to speak, of CD/DVD combo packs. It appears that this is becoming a popular marketing ploy. It makes a lot of sense.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I bought the following CDs recently with a bonus DVD:
Ben Folds: Ben Folds Live
Tom Petty: The Last DJ
Foo Fighters: One By One

My favorite so far:
Ben Folds

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul, right! I did see a version of The Last DJ with a bonus DVD. Thanks for reminding me. How is the DVD? What's on it? Does it offer surround sound?

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Keith, to tell you the truth I didn't even watch it. It is a documentary on the making of the album (I think).
Maybe I'll pop it in this weekend.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Amy Grant's Legacy has a limited number of copies out there with a bonus DVD. Same price as the CD-only version if you can find it. What a great deal!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Paul, thanks for the info. I am inclined to think that DVDs included with new studio albums are likely to be less interesting than DVDs packaged with live CDs or greatest-hits compilations. I can see live CDs coming with concert DVDs and greatest-hits compilations coming with either concert DVDs or a compilation DVD of music videos. That said, the Rush combo pack I mentioned has a studio album packaged with a music video compilation DVD. In any event, I tend to find a lot of the documentaries to be a bit boring.

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
Like some of you noticed there are quite a few CDs coming out with either a DVD disc in the package or the CD itself has a link to a web site that contains videos and other information. The new Bon Jovi had a link that would allow the purchaser to buy Bon Jovi tickets before they went on sale. There are many, many more that guys like us wouldn't notice because many are very poppy sounding titles.

The record companies are doing more of these marketing approaches to create a better percieved value to the regular CD. The reasoning behind it is that you will want to acutally BUY the CD instead of downloading it or getting a burned copy from your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks