1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Here is a DVD player that will Upscale through Component!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Micheal, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Micheal

Micheal Well-Known Member

Momitsu

Someone I know just got one. I'll be going over to his house in a couple of days to do a shootout in comparison with his HTPC. And yes, it upscales through the Component output & the DVI output.

2. Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs Member

Wow that looks great! And only $230??

Anyway I looked on google and didnt see any American stores, do you know where your friend bought it? Im very interested in getting one. Thanks!

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Well-Known Member

Look at avsforum's 'DVD Hardware' section. Picture quality is apparently "soft" via component, but quite good via DVI.

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Well-Known Member

The Bravo D1 does the samething. The results after testing suggest it's not worth it and DVI is the only way to go.

5. Micheal

The Bravo D1 does not upscale through component (last I read), and for some people component is the ONLY option. To have the option to upscale through component and end up with a better image than 480P, most will take that option.

Edit: Here is a comment posted on another forum. (Hope that's okay) The comment was made by an advanced member in response to a negative comment on upscaling through component.

6. Micheal

Has anyone here used the BravoD1 or Samsung HD 931 that upscales through DVI? If so what display did you hook it up to and how well did it work?

7. Andrew Hoogs

Andrew Hoogs Member

What do you guys think about buying a Bravo and using a DVI to component adapter? Would that work? ATI sells that adapter. The reason I ask is the Bravo is $100 cheaper than the Momitsu.

8. Miles

Miles Well-Known Member

Yes... I'm curious about the adapter too... I'm using the DVI to VGA adapter to send to signal to my 17" monitor now... but would the adapter pass 1080i... or 1024p from the player to my projector?

Thanks for any help,

Miles

9. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Well-Known Member

ATI's component video adapter will not work for anything other than using it with a DVI connection on a compatible ATI graphics card. It is controlled by ATI’s Catalyst software drivers that also control the graphics card. It has no internal firmware to control the conversions. I think they did it this way so that you wouldn't be able to use it with NVIDIA's graphics cards.

BTW, I have one.

10. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Well-Known Member

11. Miles

Miles Well-Known Member

Hey Derek,

I was asking if I can use the adapter on the back of the STB DVD-player (Bravo or Momitsu) and pass 1080i/720pto my NEC LT-150 projector. Many reviews had mentioned the component outputs on these players passed a soft-looking 1080i/720p. Since DVI seems to be the way to go with these players, I thought the adapter may bypass the issue.

Thanks,

Miles

12. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Well-Known Member