What's new

Here he come, here comes SPEED RACER...he's a demon on wheels. (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about John Goodman as the father, need an annoying type but I'm certainly there in May. Looks like one heck of a year for movies.
Don't know but it made me want to fight someone, kind of like Mortal Kombat :laugh:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've recently purchased the first 3 DVD's of the original Speed Racer cartoons to refamiliarize myself with the material. I had not seen it since 1969 and the early 70's. I was afraid they'd dissapointed coming from an adult perspective, but they hold up for what they are!

I totally forgot or didn't realize the Racer X storyline and how he looks after Speed. I found that part of the story, and how Speed is basically a good kid who does the right thing as endearing. I hope they don't lose that quality in the film. (But given the modern audience, they may find that too old fashioned a notion. But maybe I'm cynical.)

I saw the new trailers and I am confused. Perhaps no one knows but the movie makers, but why the heck does there appear to be another Mach 5, or as I read, a Mach 6? The film does look good and the CGI works well, from the low res stuff on the web. But I think they should have only been faithful to the original Mach 5 and not add another.

One other thought, a friend turned me onto Initial D and I saw the first 2 DVD's of that series. It seems it has a similar feel to Speed Racer, from an anime point of view and some character mannerisms of that genre from Japan.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting Tony. Would it be a contrived element for this film? I have not finished re-watching the original cartoon, so I don't know.

I just downloaded the newest trailer at 1080 and it looks great. It's a pretty tricky assemblidge of clips of the Mach 5 and Mach 6 to appear as the same car.

Regarding Racer X From what I read on the Wiki, it appears the film version has Rex Racer die and Racer X as a different person. I hope that's just based on mis-information. It wouldn't be cool for Rex not to be Racer X.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that would not be very good.

my spoiler, the toys were just releeased so i'm guessing they are beased on the movie.
there are 2 different racer x cars and a red mach 4

ok i just saw the latest 2 trailers and the mach 4 is in there.
and trailer 3 looks like the mammoth car makes an appearance.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that car too, both you mention in your spoiler. I'm glad to see the what looks like the Mammoth car in there! Perhaps the Mach 4 is the car Rex drives early on. They did a cool job with Racer X's car too.

I really liked the city scape shot. it looks so vibrant!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Peter Fernandez looks to be the voice of Spritle in the new animated series, so he will SOUND like his older (dead?) brother Speed Sr..

In case you hadn't noticed, the official movie website has been redesigned (about time!) and has a new "international" trailer.

Also, if you go to the "kids" version of the site, you can find a clip of the movie from when the features of the Mach 5 are described.

Man, I can't wait for this one!!!

C

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up on the international trailer and official site. Downloading now.

Beau

Supporting Actor
Just saw the trailer last night, I'm not familiar with the cartoon (before my time, I have heard of it and seen clips from it enough to get the pop-culture refrences when it shows up on Family Guy or Geico commercials). I still don't have much desire to check the cartoon out, but the trailer left me pumped to see this flick. Looks like a really wild and crazy trip. I always seem to forget about Christina Ricci's existence since she only pops up in the mainstream every five years or so, and when I do see a movie with her I'm reminded how friggin' smokin' hot she is. DAYMN!

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Just a heads up that there's yet another international trailer floating around. This one is 5 minutes long. It starts out with some of the cast talking about their roles and the film, but then the actual trailer starts (which really is 5 mins long). It's basically a mash-up of all the trailers so far, but with a smattering of new stuff (lots more Racer X) and longer shots of the various tracks and cars. It's worth checking out.

Movies For The Masses: Speed Racer (2008): ΟÏγασμικό 5λεπτο trailer

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, that trailer showed a lot. Maybe too much, like that last bit with Racer X. Apple has another trailer up at 1080 for download that is a featurette. The thing though is that it still looks like Racer X and Speed's older brother Rex is played by another actor.

I finally realized what the car action sequences reminded me of, the Pod race from The Phantom Menace. Though this one of course upped the CGI action by about 5 times or more! It must sound pretty good too.

I read the Wachowski Brothers paid for the rights to use the Speed Racer theme music and jump sound effects. I sure hope they use the original theme in the movie somewhere, I bet it won't be used in the titles, but it would be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks