What's new

Help with wireless speaker setup? (1 Viewer)

chumkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Chip Humkey
I'm a beginner in HT, but recently bought a condo that has 5 in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. The builder set up the room so that the speaker wire would be accessible only on the rear wall. I would much prefer to hook all of the equipment up under my TV. To use the speakers, I suppose there are 2 options:

1- Go wireless with all 5 speakers. Does anyone recommend this? I'm not super advanced with speakers so losing a little audio quality wouldn't kill me. There is no way to run wires back to the receiver at the front wall except across the floor. I also pulled one of the front in-wall speakers out and I doubt I'll be able to go through the wall to the outlet near the receiver with the speaker wire (without hiring a professional). Are there any good options for wireless systems? I don't really have a budget because I'm in this far and I just want to complete the project - but I'd like not to spend too much (keep it under $150 if possible??).

2- Move all the equipment to the rear wall. This seems absurd to me, but maybe it's more common. There is an HDTV cable that apparently sends the digital video signal back from the rear wall to the front to the TV. One problem with this is that I have a Wii, and I won't be able to hook it in through the receiver because the sensor bar needs to be near the TV.

I used the help of this forum to purchase a receiver and have been very happy. The dimension between the front and rear walls is about 15 feet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! And please let me know if I forgot anything...

Thanks so much,

Chip

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Chip,

It's a bit difficult to understand what your situation is. But I gather that you want to install your HT equipment in a different configuration than the way the builder installed a custom in wall in ceiling speaker system. One of the draw backs of these type of systems is they are pretty much cast in stone and not easy to change. Those in wall speakers are no doubt the left and right center stage of your system and you TV needs to be centered between them. The in ceiling speakers most likely are the surround speakers.

As I see it given your budget ($150) you are stuck setting up your equipment in the manner dictated by your builder. Trying to reverse things will be difficult and even if you can make the connections you will not be happy with the in ceiling surround speakers as your front stage and the in wall speakers being your surrounds.

chumkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Chip Humkey
Bill,

Thanks for the note. You are correct, the room can only be set up one way. The TV is framed by the 3 front speakers and the surround sound speakers are overhead above the couch. I won't try to move the speakers or turn the room around and use them backwards.

So given that setup, I'm stuck with the receiver on the front wall under the TV and the speaker wires exposed at the rear wall under the surround sound speakers. Hopefully this is a little clearer. Again, seems like my only options are to bring the receiver to the rear wall, which seems awkward, or to transmit the speaker signals wirelessly from the receiver in the front to the speaker wires in the rear.

I'm leaning toward buying a wireless kit, but I have no idea what it would cost. I picked $150 out of the air - but again, I'm willing to spend more if necessary. If there's not much difference between a $150 and $200 kit, I'll pick the cheaper. Just looking for a few thoughts.

Thanks again.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill

Originally Posted by chumkey

So given that setup, I'm stuck with the receiver on the front wall under the TV and the speaker wires exposed at the rear wall under the surround sound speakers. Hopefully this is a little clearer. Again, seems like my only options are to bring the receiver to the rear wall, which seems awkward, or to transmit the speaker signals wirelessly from the receiver in the front to the speaker wires in the rear.

Sounds like you got the worst of both worlds from your builder.

1. He installed a in wall in ceiling speaker system which cannot match the performance of stand alone speakers and locks you into one furniture configuration. No doubt he must have used the cheapest speakers he could find.
  2. His electrician didn't have the brains as to how to properly install the wiring.

This is what happens when you have amateurs installing HT systems. They have neither the inclination or ability to do the job right. If you have not closed on your condo I would see if you can get the builder to properly install all of the wiring for your speakers which should be in the area of where your TV would be installed.

The wireless unit that I see recommended is made by Rocketfish and sells for around $100. This may be a temporary solution. However, If you do want to achieve quality surround sound you may want to start saving for a stand alone 5.1 speaker system. This would give you much more flexibility in your room arrangement as will as much better sound than what you currently have.

chumkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Chip Humkey
Thanks for your help, Bill. I'll likely go wireless. This is not the only frustrating thing I've encountered from the builder...

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Chip,

One of life's frustrations is building a house, and dealing with the building trades. Talk to anyone who has built or renovated a house and you will hear the stores.

bulldogsmsu

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I have been looking at wireless speakers also. I see a lot of packages for them, but what I wanted was to do just the two surround speakers wireless so I didn't have the chord to deal with in my living room. Anyone have any good recommendations for wireless surround speakers? Can this even be done?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No speaker is ever truly wireless unless it is battery powered. If you want to wirelessly send the signal from the front of the room to the rear, then you need an amp for the rear speakers. Either built into the speakers or separate. If it is built into the speakers, then each speaker will need a power cord. If it is separate, then you will still need speaker wires from the amp to the speaker. If you can find battery powered speakers, they will not be very powerful and will need constant re-charging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks