What's new

Help with video connections on my Kenwood VR6060 (1 Viewer)

BruceH

Auditioning
Hi Folks,

I have enjoyed my Kenwood VR6060 for about 9 months in my "temporary" living room theatre. My dedicated HT is almost complete, and I'm now at the point where I'm about to install my components. I plan to use component video cables, and the manual for my receiver is a bit confusing.

I have a dvd player with component video outputs and a digital cable box with a s-video output, but no component video outputs. My question is this: considering that I am using two different types of video inputs to the receiver (component and s-video), do I have to use both types to output from my receiver to the TV? Or, will one component video output suffice?

Thanks for any help,

Bruce

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I just pulled this up really quickly:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2451

There is no mention of video upconversion, so likely you will need to run one output of every input type you use, so in your case yes you will need both s-video and component run to your TV. If those are the only sources, though, it's usually better to run directly to the TV and not run everything through the receiver.

Using the receiver for video switching can be convenient, and it can be necessary if you have more sources than inputs on your TV.

In your case, sounds like you have enough inputs, and you'll probably need to switch between them for s-video and component, so switching convenience may be somewhat moot.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
the video switching on the kenwood is not very wide bandwidth. i'm not using mine. its not too much trouble to have to switch the video source on the tv, and the audio source on the kenwood. besides, if you use the digital audio outs from your components to the kenwood, and the analog outs to the tv, others can watch the tv without firing up the audio system. makes it a bit eaisier on less tech-savvy folks (kids, etc.)

ag.

BruceH

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like I'll be going out today to pick up a S-video cable.

The loss of video switching shouldn't be too much of a hardship as I'll be controling the whole system with a Harmony remote.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks