What's new

Help with Toshiba 42HDX82 Natural Picture size,wide1,2,3,full.... (1 Viewer)

KennB

Grip
Hi there :) Can anyone tell me why when watching DVD's(using a Toshiba SD48000 player progressive scan enabled) that my image appears soft looking not very sharp when viewing in Wide 1,2,3 or FULL,but when I switch to Natural I have grey bars on the side and black bars on the top & bottom of the viewable area(I guess it turns it to 4:3) but the image is very sharp.

When reading the RPTV manual it says "Natural picture size examples:The way the image displays vary depending on the format of the program you are currently watching."

Now after reading this why am I getting the grey bars & black bars in a 4:3 box when watching any of my DVDs? I have my DVD player set to 16:9 so what am I doing wrong?

KennB,

I can tell you that the preferred setting for Anamorphic DVDs is FULL mode on the Toshiba hdx series. You should see the picture as it was intended without any stretching or distortion in the picture in that pic size setting.

Use Natural for watching HD signals if you have a HDTV receiver, not for DVDs. Also, you can use natural to view 4x3 material not stretched with gray bars on the sides. Its not useful for watching widescreen DVDs. Some people use TW2 for watching non anamorphic DVD.

I'm looking to get a digital TV and the 42HDX82 is at the top of my list. But now I have a question about these viewing modes.

Can this TV (or any TV) automatically select the most appropriate viewing mode based on the source? Or can they at least be programmed for a default mode for each input?

Thinking about it now, it seems that it would be very inconvenient to have to manually switch the viewing mode for each source. For example, if I'm watching an anamorphic movie DVD then switch to a full screen cable program, would I have to manually change the picture mode?

(BTW, I have a Pioneer DV45A which will output a progressive signal.)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
In order to have freedom of choice, you have to set the viewing mode manually. Your idea of having defaults is a good one, though.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks