What's new

Help with the Hookup (1 Viewer)

Chris Tedeschi

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Tedeschi
Hey all,
So this is the first time I'm really connecting a home theater system and I'm a little confused about some of how the hookup should be done.
Here's my current equipment:
TV - LG 55LM7600
Receiver - Denon AVR 1713
Blu-Ray / DVD - Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Speakers - Energy 5.1 surround
Router - Apple Extreme 802.11N
So, I have the plan of everything going through the receiver, but perhaps internet.
TV HDMI ARC connection to receiver.
Receiver HDMI connected to Blu-Ray.
Speakers connected through Receiver with audio wires.
Apple Router is connect with LAN cable to TV.
So here are my questions:
1. With everything connected through the receiver, how useful are the menus on the TV? I mean, it seems like the receiver is the intermediary between the two and that whatever is coming out of the TV will be controlled by the receiver and vice versa.
2. Is it normal to have the router connected to the TV and not the receiver for internet connection? Is there any benefit of connecting it to the receiver and NOT the TV?
3. I will be getting cable and Apple TV soon. Should that be connected to the TV, or the receiver.
4. Finally, I have a Hard Drive that have movie files on it. How would I play those without burning them onto DVD? The HD is a stand-alone and can be connected directly to the router and viewed through it.
Any help would be great. I feel a little confused since I now have a receiver acting as a go-between.
Thanks,
Chris

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First thing you need to figure out is if "app audio" can make it out of your TV.
If it can't make it out, then the "stuff you get via for Airport Extreme" won't make any difference.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, everything connects to the AVR...that is if you want 5.1 sound. Routing stuff through the TV dumbs everything to 2.0 PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks