What's new

Help with system restore after a virus (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I got some goofy computer virus in the past few hours and couldn't clean or delete it.
Finally did a restore on my computer, using May 11 as the restore date, figuring that was safe.
However, I've now lost all my Internet favorites, all cookies, passwords, etc. are now gone.
I only went back three days so thought that stuff would be safe, but it all got zapped.
Anybody know if there is a way to get them back or do I just live with it?
I'm actually surprised I got the virus (actually a trojan) since I run Microsoft's Security package and McAfee's software to give me double coverage, but somehow something got through.
Forgot to mention I'm running Windows XP SP3 with all current updates. I realize I'm a little behind on things, but plan on getting a new laptop later this year with the latest software.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If you posted this in the computer area you may get a response.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^^ There's one in every crowd. :)

Stan, that does sound weird. When you say you did a restore was this from a backup you made, or are you saying you used a Restore point? You might try another restore point. Were your bookmarks there before you restored?

I assume you're using IE. (I'd recommend switching to Firefox, if not something else. Firefox makes regular backups of your bookmarks on it's own should something happen, and there are addons like FEBE which would run regular backups)

My wife had something happen to her work laptop that only looked like it wiped everything, but all it did was change a bunch of settings. Check to make sure your Favorites are actually gone. You can find it in C:Documents and SettingsuserFavorites

Cookies are kept in C:Documents and SettingsuserLocal SettingsTemporary Internet Files

You might need to enable viewing of hidden files.

On my wife's PC every file was set to hidden, and a registry tweak hid all her icone. It looked like everything was wiped from the PC, but I assured her if that were true we wouldn't be able to start the thing.

And I've never liked McAfee. Try Avast. it's free.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Paul, it was simply a restore point from whatever Microsoft does automatically, thought that by picking a recent date I wouldn't lose much, especially favorites, many of which haven't changed in years.
Just tried something similar to what you did with your wife's computer, turns out all my favorites were hidden, they are actually still there. The instant I unhid them, everything was back.
I'm not particularly thrilled with McAfee, but I have a perpetual license, so never have to pay for upgrades and it always stays current. But I'll take a look at Avast. I think I tried it several years ago, but after a month or so trial period, it was something like $90 to buy the real thing, so I passed. Might have been something else, not positive on the name.
Thanks for the advice on the favorites, worked great.
Would like to try another browser, but use my computer a lot for school right now, they also use IE, so don't really have the time to learn a new product. Might try it later this summer though.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Stan /t/320718/help-with-system-restore-after-a-virus#post_3927521
turns out all my favorites were hidden, they are actually still there. The instant I unhid them, everything was back.

Excellent! Glad you could get everything back fairly easily.

Users who are viewing this thread