What's new

Help with Speaker Layout (Odd Room Layout) (1 Viewer)

Knock Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
Hi all, I'm pretty new to this and I'm trying to figure out the ideal speaker placement for a 5.1 system in my odd shaped room with plenty of obstructions. The speakers are wall mounts.

I wanted to attach an image, but I keep getting an error message so I'll try my best to describe the room layout.

It is an L shape that is app. 26' long and 12.5' wide in the part of the room the TV will be in. Unfortunately, the only wall that works for the TV is only 9' long with an open hallway on one side. The TV will be centered on that wall. It is a 60" (app. 54" wide), which leaves 27" of wall space on each side.

That puts the sectional at the open intersection of the L app. 10.5' from the TV. So there is basically no wall near the back or one end of the sectional.

My initial thoughts were to put the front left and right speakers on the side walls closest to the TV, but due to some wiring and duct work, they would have to be 41" in front of the center. The other option is beside the 60" (54" width) TV, but there is only 27" of space on each side. Neither seems ideal, but I think I need to choose one.

As I said the the room around the sectional is open on one side, but there is a column on the open side of the room. I could mount a speaker to that but I'm afraid it is too far behind the sectional. It would be app. 4' behind the sectional and 3' to the side. I could move the sectional back slightly. to get closer. Again, not ideal.

I'm not sure what to do. Suggestions/advice would be appreciated. If I can get an image to post I'll put up a drawing. It may be because I'm new that I'm unable to post an attachment.

Knock Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
Layout.jpg
Layout.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is there a reason you are wall mounting?There are plenty of tower speakers less than 2 feet wide.And ceiling mounting would solve all the problems in the rear of the room.

Knock Wood

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
The reason I was planning to wall mount the speakers is I already have the satellite speakers versus tower speakers. Is 24" from the TV enough distance away to wall mount the speakers assuming I can avoid the plumbing and electrical in the bathroom wall?

For the rear of the room I thought the ceiling mounting would put the speakers too high, but maybe it is preferable to have them too high versus to far behind the listening area???

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How small are these speakers?

Small speakers and large rooms seldom mesh. The main reason is how inefficient small speakers are. I would side mount your speakers(for the 4/5) at the corner of the room(left side of the drawing) and where the "line meets the sectional" of the 10 1/2".

That way, if you ever do 7.1...your 5.1 is in the correct spot....which is the same "correct spot" regardless.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm the wrong one to ask.My "surround" speakers...in a smaller room...are the BIC V820. That us a tower speaker with an 8" woofer. Another room, the same basic size, has the DCM TF350.And yes, those are the surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks