What's new

Help with speaker choice (1 Viewer)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Hello all. Pretty new here and don't know much about HT or audio in general.

Here is the deal. The system will be mostly used for music (Heavy Metal). I have pretty much selected my receiver, either a Marantz SR 5600 or SR 7500. Going to go with the SVS 20-39 PCi sub unless I decide to buck up and get the PC+. Here are the room dimensions it will be in. 19' x 19' family room connected to a 14' x 9' breakfast area and 13' x 11' kitchen. It is basically one big open area with a dividing knee wall between family room and kitchen that is backed by sink, dishwasher, and some cabinetry. 9' ceilings.

Here is my dilema. All speakers must be in-wall because of wife, kids, and dogs. Kids (2 boys under 3!) and dogs terrorize everything on the floor (which may pose problems with the SVS but I will deal with it when it happens).

I have been looking at, and the local audio shop has suggested getting NHT IW3's for my fronts and center and IW2's for the surrounds. Which I did like when I listened to them, though he ran his system 'flat' so I am not 100% sure on how they will sound when I tweak the levels to my liking. I love bass. Big bass. Hit you in the chest bass and super crunch on James Hetfields guitar.

Here are the questions. Going with IW3's for my fronts, should I use an IW3 for my center, and will it make a good center? NHT doesn't make an inwall center unfortunately.

And the IW2's for the surrounds. Should they also be IW3's? Or are the IW2s good enough? Plus it helps keep the price down.

If someone can suggest others to give a listen too, in the price range of the NHT IW3s I would greatly appreciate it. That would be $250 a pair or so.

And now, to make it even more confusing, I need help on DVD and CD players. I will also post this in that section, but might as well keep it rolling.

My CD player is old, real old. Need a new one. Prefer a 5 disc player. I don't want to go and spend a couple thousand dollars on a receiver, sub, and speakers only to hook up a beater CD player and thus not get good sound.

Relatively cheap CD player suggestions would be appreciated. Meaning $300 and under (or up a few dollars). Must be multi disk. I am not into those 300 and 400 disk players. But I can be talked into it.

Same with DVD player. Need a good cheap one to hook up to the system. $200 max. As movies are not of great interest to me.

Now if there is a killer 5 disc DVD/CD player that will treat me right, suggest that as well.

Thanks!!!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
pioneer 588 does all of that and DVIX files. it's $120 shipped from internet.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
But it isn't 5 disc. 5 disc universals aren't cheap.

I have a SACD carousel, fairly nice, but it doesn't play DVD-A, so there's a cabling issue. You could get a single disc universal plus a CD carousel, but it's nice to just put 5 music discs in one player, press shuffle, and be done with it...

Also, with many lines, the center channel's form factor has no particular advantage other than "it can fit on top of the tv". With in-walls, that's less of an issue.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
if you like bass that much and you are already going in wall why not go infinite baffle? solves the dog and kid problem. and if you want robust speakers look at some cerwin vegas as some of there models look fairly robust and they are very loud speakers which i assume you like seeing your favorite genre. what kind of dogs do you have that will eat a speaker btw?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
jeremy, it's the same as thing as a DVDRW with mp3 on it. in fact, that can hold MORE than 5 CD's worth of music. FYI =). only bad thing is no shuffle on mp3's. haven't really found a good shuffle w/mp3's except for computer.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Brian,

I’d take a pass on the in-walls. They seriously compromise sound quality, and you can get much better sounding regular speakers for the same money.

Instead of the in-walls I suggest some bookshelf speakers. I know, the kids and dogs. You can mount shelves to the wall to set them on.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I have boxers. Not so much an eat them issue, but a knock them over issue, and possibly eat them as they have eaten chairs and a lane chest before.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks