What's new

Help with Sony S550 (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
OK. I finally got my S550 but am having a little trouble with the audio. I have an older model Kenwood VR-4080 which does not have HDMI inputs, but does have my 5.1 analog inputs. So, I've got my HDMI going to my Sanyo PLV-Z700 for video. Fine. I ran my cables from the S550 multi channel audio out to the analog audio in on the receiver. However, when I try to set the audio levels on the S550, I only get sound from the front left and right speakers. Since that did not seem to work I hooked up my coax from the S550 to the receiver. All the speakers work but the receiver shows Pro Logic instead of Dolby Digital. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Could someone who has a similar situation help me get this figured out? Thanks!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You are using the "Multi-Channel" mode, instead of "DVD" mode (on receiver), when watching a blu ray movie, right? If so, it's got to be an audio setting in the player's setup menus. I don't know the audio options of this player, in the menus, so I'd say to just try some other settings for audio output.
Good luck.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My father has the same player, and I had to tweak it over Christmas after he installed it.

Go into Audio Settings on the BDP-S550 and select Multi Channel Analog under Audio Output Priority.

Then you'll need to make sure all of the analog outputs are enabled by going into Speaker Settings. Make sure all of the speakers are set to either Large or Small for the speakers you have installed.

For example, for a 5.1 setup, Front, Center, and Surround should be set to either Large or Small, the Subwoofer set to Yes, and Surround Back would be set to None. When you're finished, run the Test Tone from the S550's Audio Settings to make sure your connections and setups are correct.

You may also need to perform similar instructions on your Kenwood receiver.

Hope this helped.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Gary,
I look forward to seeing if the advice you received from this thread worked for you. I will be buying this same player next month and will have to tweak mine as well. This thread definately helps me out early on.
Thanks!

BTW, if everything is working right for you now Gary, how are you liking the improved audio codecs you're hearing from your BR movies?

TroyH

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Troy, as of now I am not receiving the new hd audio. I did get the Dolby Digital/Pro Logic thing fixed though. Had to re-seat the coax cable. Its a very tight fit and I had to push real hard to get a connection. However, now I get no sound with the multi channel at all. I've got one more thing to try and if that doesn't work, I'll just stick with my coax and Dolby Digital. It sounds great to me. I've tried about everything else for the multi channel and just don't know what else to do. All the settings appear to be correct, but obviously one tiny little thing is not. Just don't know what it could be. Other than that, I will tell you, I think you'll love the S550. My long range plane is to update my receiver so I can just use HDMI all the way.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Gary,

Hope you get that last piece of the puzzle figured out for your high res audio to start working.
I'm hoping I don't have similar issues when configuring my multi-channel ports with the high res audio myself.

The analog ins/outs use basic RcA connections. Were you using basic plain vanilla rca's or something alittle bit more quality like gold/silver tipped RCA connections? Not sure that it matters.

Thanks,
TroyH

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Make sure you have DVD/6 Channel selected as your input and not one of the auto modes. I have worked with this receiver and that is an easy thing to overlook.
To pass the HD sound make sure you have multi channel and Direct set on the S550.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
OK, here goes. I hope I remember everything.

Audio Output Priority-Multi Channel Analog
Speaker Settings-Small/no rear surround/yes for subwoofer
Audio (HDMI)-Auto (since this is going to the projector for video only, should it be set to 2ch PCM instead?)
BD Audio Setting-Direct
Audio ATT-Off
Dolby Digital-Dolby Digital
DTS-DTS
48kHz/96kHz PCM- 96kHz/24bit
Audio DRC- Auto
Downmix-Dolby Surround

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Doug. Yes, I have the Kenwood set at DVD 6ch input. Glad to hear from someone who is familiar with my receiver.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
That looks right, agree with Doug H, double check the input mode on the receiver, make sure it's set to "6 ch input" not auto to use the multi-analog.

If multi-ch still doesn't work, for coax digital you'd want to change receiver back to full auto, and the DVD output priority to coaxial/optical.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Gary, you have the audio settings in the player correct. I have an S550 connected to my Denon 1804 with the 5.1 analog outs. I do not have it connected with any other audio connection. The test tones and BDs play fine through all 6 channels. Sounds like you either have a bad S550 or there is a setting in your receiver somewhere that you missed.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Thanks for the response guys. I do have a couple of questions.

1. When scrolling through the menu on the receiver it shows:DVD Auto.
I haven't figured out how to shut that off. Is this what you are talking about?

2. Do I need to unplug the coax cable from the player and receiver when trying to use the multi channel? The reason I'm asking is the other day when I didn't have a solid connection with the coax connection to get Dolby Digital, I did at least had sound coming from the left & right fronts and the left & right surrounds when trying to use multi channel.

3 Or, could a be a combination of both?

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help!

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Gary

If i am remembering correctly the input mode selector is on the front of the receiver at the far left, each time you push it it will show a new mode, eventually you will reach Analog 6 Channel. Input mode is different than input on the Kenwood, just FYI.

You shouldn't need to disconnect the coax, I used to have the 6 channel set up for DVD-A/SACD, the coax for the dedicated DVD player and the Sat connected to the optical, all on the DVD inputs so I didn't need to switch inputs very often and everything worked fine.

Anything is possible so playing with the connection combination could help.

Next step in troubleshooting is to connect some other devices to the 6 channel inputs. You CD player or anything else with 2 channel analog will work. Connect it to the fronts first, you should hear sound from the fronts.

Connect the surrounds next, you should hear sound from them and finally the sub and center. If you have sound through all of the inputs you know it is a bad S550 or a setting that is incorrect.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Thanks Doug! I'll try that as soon as I get home tonight. Hopefully what you just gave me will do the trick. I sent an email to Kenwood support to see if they could help as well but it seems that a response could take 3-5 days. I'm hoping its not a bad S550. I'd really rather not have to pack it up to send it back for replacement. Once again, thanks for all your help.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I've got the S550, and a Kenwood VR6050. I have been able to enjoy the advanced codecs, until I plugged up my coax. Everything seemed fine at first, but then I put in Lost Season 4 BD and I couldn't get the audio to synch up to the video. I unplugged the coax, and everything went back to normal. (Now I'm wondering what my player/receiver is going with the DD and DTS.) I'm pretty sure my settings for the S550 are the same as listed above. I'm using 5.1 analog inputs on the receiver, and have an HDMI hooked up to my TV.

On my receiver remote, I do have to make sure I select DVD/6CH on the bottom group of "input selector" buttons, and with the "input mode" button (middle left, on my remote) I have to scroll to "6 channel" option by hitting it repeatedly. The other choices are "manual," "auto," and "digital."

Don't know if this helps. But I saw the issue of unplugging the coax up-thread. Just thought I'd chime in.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I never was able to get any sound out of the coaxial connection on the S550, so I just bit the bullet and bought a new receiver with HDMI.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Good news!! Doug, your suggestion was spot on. When I got home I went to my equipment rack and to the receiver, flipped down the cover, and found input mode. It was exactly where you said it would be. Pushed it a few times and 6ch input came up. Hooked up the cables, then went to the S550 and pulled up speaker settings and turned on the test tones. And there was the sound that had been missing all this time! I'm surprised you didn't here me yell "YES!!" where you were at! So, I now have access to the new codecs, and they sound great. Thanks to everyone that tried to help, I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks