What's new

Help with Screen selection for my PJ (1 Viewer)

Joel~Solid

Agent
My new home is being built as we speak and will be completed in June of this year. My theater is going to be approximately 16X14. My primary seating position will be approximately 11-12 ft from the 96 inch diagonal screen. I will have almost perfect light control of the room. The projector I'm most likely going to get is the JVC DLA-HX1. The projector will be going the long way (16ft) of the room.

The two screen materials I'm mainly looking at are the Carada Classic White 1.0 gain and the Carada High Contrast Grey .85 gain. The projector is pretty bright at approx 14 ft from the screen so I'm not too worried about brightness. But I am concerned about the contrast ratio. I currently have a Rear projection Hitachi 65XWX20B CRT based TV that has been ISF Calibrated. I love great shadow detail in my picture. So far is would be pretty easy to just say High Contrast Grey and be done with it. BUT........ I have heard some people complain that the colors not losing their punch or vibrancy. Would I be better off going with the High Contrast Grey or the Classic White?

Now I have been reading more on the Vutec Silverstar screens. Which sound great. Obviously this only complicates things. Please let me know what you guys think.

Joel

Curt Luther

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Joel,

I am in the same situation as you. I have the Sanyo Z2 though and my room is very close to being completed. I just have to order the screen. I am so far sold on the Carada screens and I am trying to decide between the classic white and the grey. I have ordered samples of each from Carada and have tested both out. The grey does seem to wash out the colors, enough to where it may bother me. The classic white is much more punchy and the colors look great, but you do suffer on the black level a bit. I think you should order samples from them and test them. I think it will be down to the lesser of two evils. I am leaning toward the Classic white.
What is that other screen company you listed in your post? Are they comparable to Carada in price?? Good Luck.

Curt

mark alan

Supporting Actor
If you are willing to wait, you should hold off on buying a screen. You can make a screen for less than $50 and an afternoon of work. Then try different paint colors to see what works best for you. Then if you want, you can buy the commercial screen that most closely matches what works best for you.

Trust me, this works a whole lot better than trying to determine what is best from a 3" square sample hung on the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks