What's new

Help with router purchase (1 Viewer)

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I'm in the need of a new router. My old old one was a modem/router combo from verizon which didn't work half the time. Verizon is sending me a new modem and I didn't want the combo again as I didn't like the way it worked. I have the Mac Mini as my main computer and my boys have pc laptops (connects wirelessly). In addition one of the boys has an IMac (connects wirelessly) and we also have an AppleTV (wired connection). The reason that the AppleTV is hard wired is I am streaming music. My question is can I buy any router to work with this? Also with a new router will the connections be fast eough to stream music wirelessly from the Mini to the AppleTV? What do you all suggest. I'm really weak when it comes to networking. I also want to keep the costs down to about $60 or less if possible. Thanks!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm currently using the Verizon Westell combo modem/router and it's working fine for me. While I realize you want out of that solution, I do want to point out that I am successfully streaming music from my iMac to my AppleTV wirelessly through this router. I would think any wireless G router could handle music streaming without hiccupping. I've had good luck with Linksys products.

Streaming HD video is what's going to drive folks to a wireless N solution (but right now that's out of your price range).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had a LinkSys wired router for years and it worked well. I'd expect a current LinkSys wireless router would work equally well. They're typically $60; cheaper if you catch a sale.

Wireless G will be fine for audio. If you can get draft-n in your budget that gets you some future proofing.

If you wanted to blow the budget, the Apple Airport Extreme is great. Very good Apple software, draft-n wireless and Gigabit wired speed. But it's $180.

Users who are viewing this thread