What's new

Help with proper hook-up and routing of cables to various components (1 Viewer)

robang82

Auditioning
Real Name
robert beatley
I would greatly appreciate the best way to route the various cables to hook-up my system
It consists of :

Sony KV34HS420 TV (HDMI)
Yamaha A/V Receiver HTR-5860 (no HDMI)
Sony CD Ply'r. CDP-C335
Toshiba Ply'r./Rcd'r. DR410KU
Directv Rcv'r. H20

I get a little confused with all the INs and OUTs of the various equip.
I would need a detailed listing or schematic on how to do this.

Any response would be most helpful. Thank you

PS...I have most of the necessary cables

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum Robert! It’s a pretty simple set up and easy to hook up. Sony CD player: Analog audio (red/white RCAs) to Yamaha receiver. Or a digital cable, if the player has one (coax, optical). Direct TV: (a) Component video and digital audio to the Yamaha. (b)S-video and analog audio to the Toshiba DVD recorder’s INPUTs. (This will allow you to record TV shows, if you’re interested in that.) Toshiba DVD: (a) INPUTs – see above. (b) OUTPUTs – component video and digital audio to the Yamaha receiver. Component video from the Yamaha to the Sony TV. That’s it! Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt

robang82

Auditioning
Real Name
robert beatley
Wayne,
Thank you for the response.
I take it that most of these conn.'s originate from the DirectTV HD Receiver?
Would running a HDMI cable from the Directv receiver to the TV's HDMI input change any of the conn.'s that you have suggested?
Yes, I would like to be able to record TV programs.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It won't change any of the other connections, but will have implications. If you use Wayne's instructions you'll be able to switch your sources using just the receiver's remote. If you use the HDMI directly to the TV you'll have to switch both the receiver and the TV to go to/from DirectTV. Though if you use a universal remote, this is not a problem.

Also, you won't get a better picture using HDMI, so I'd say it's not worth it.

Note that where you might get a benefit is when the DVD player is an upconverter (particularly HD); those will sometimes not upgrade a DVD signal over analogue connection. I believe this is due to theft considerations. Although if your TV has a decent upconvert this problem again goes away, as it'll do the upconversion.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Also keep in mind that if you do choose to use HDMI directly to the TV (which I agree with Al, the benefits are not likely to be very considerable), you will STILL need to run a digital audio cable from the DirecTV to the reciever. Don't run the audio out from the TV to the receiver - it will not be digital 5.1 in that scenario, it will be 2.0 stereo.

jasnall

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
A thought, I pretty much did this setup last night with my system, The HDMI coming from my cable box directly to the TV looked better than running Component to the receiver then to the TV. The component connection was noticeably softer, not as vivid.

But what they said:
CD--->receiver
Direct TV---->DVD recorder--->receiver
Receiver--->TV

Keep in mind if you're running your direct TV through the Toshiba DVD, you'll have to keep the Toshiba powered on the watch TV. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks