What's new

Help with Pioneer Elite vsx-92thx (1 Viewer)

queherb

Auditioning
Real Name
Herb
I purchased demo Pioneer Elite 92 form 670 @ BB 4 days ago. I currently own a Pioneer Elite 55thx. Why did I spend this money and I do not notice a great difference on music or movies. What am I doing wrong? My setup:Rotel 980 bx 120 watt amp preamping the front speakers.(Kimber Cable) Def Tech 7004 front and def tech center,Atlantic tech rears,Outlaw sub,PS3 used for music and movies connected with Monoprice 1.3a hdmi cables. The PS3 is set up using pcm for audio.Problem:The music on the old 55 elite sounds awesome! The movies sound good. The new 92 the music sounds great,but very slight drop off.The movies sound good and I notice a slight Increase in sound quality going from DD to pcm. The Sony PS3 apparently does the decoding and passes it to the receiver.The receiver shows PCM on the front panel.Is this all there is or am I doing something wrong? I am about to take the 92 back.Help! Conclusion: I am more a music man 70/30 than movies;however, I want the full experience.Is it the receiver? Is it the way I am connected to the PS3?

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Newer Pioneers are very dynamic and offer great clarity. Sounds like you have everything connected properly. You should try to adjust the settings of the 92 according to the way you like your music. Other than that, thats about all. You could pick up an spl meter and adjust levels manually, and also adjust any auto EQ features. I have an SC-07 and love it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you expected a night and day difference, you won't get it. The main things you are gaining are newer features, modes and other widgets. Sound quality isn't likely to be radically different.

firebrick

Agent
Real Name
mark
I thought sound was supposed to be hugely improved with hdmi on these new receivers. I dont want to upgrade my elite vsx56 if sound isnt improved

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
hdmi shouldn't result in any sound improvement by itself. BR plus high res audio tracks plus the ability of the receiver to fully reproduce them should result in a noticeable improvement on those sources. The OP seemed to expect a huge overall improvement from all sources. At least that was my impression. That won't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks