What's new

Help with Oversaturated Reds (1 Viewer)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Hi all - I'm not 100% sure this is the right forum for this question. If it isn't, I apologize. I just bought a new Samsung LED that I'm very, very happy with. My one problem is that I can't figure out how to scale the color red back to an appropriate level. I've used the "HD Essentials" disc to calibrate the set the best I can and from what I can tell, everything is pretty well where it should be. When I watch certain movies, however, sometimes a person's lips look way, way more red than they should. Certain men look as if they're wearing red lipstick (while a guy standing right next to him will look normal), and certain women who *are* wearing red lipstick are painful to look at. I've tried adjusting both the "Color Saturation" and the individual color levels (my TV lets me adjust red, green, blue, yellow, cyan and magenta and the values of red, blue and green within each) and so far I've had no luck. Everything with that one exception looks as it should, and I can scale color saturation way down and get it to look appropriate, but then according to the HD Essentials disc everything isn't in proper balance anymore. My question is - what settings should I be adjusting to deal with just that particular color red? Is there one? Is this an issue with the TV, or could it be a setting on the player? I'm using a PS3 for Blu-ray discs and there are a few settings in the "Display" category that I don't understand 100%. Settings like "Cross Color Reduction Filter", "RGB Full Range", "Super White" and "Deep Color Output." The PS3's own documentation isn't really clear on what type of television sets warrant what settings. I understand that its very hard to diagnose something going solely off of what someone posted on an Internet forum :) However, for those who are much more knowledgeable than I, does this sound like a TV issue or a player issue? Or could it just be "My particular TV handles red a little weird and that's the end of it." If the problem isn't correctable, I'm prepared to live with it. Outside of some screen uniformity issues (that I'm having fixed this week by a Samsung tech), I am completely happy with the set. If the problem is permanent, I'll live. I just figured I'd turn to the forum and see if anyone had any similar experiences. Thanks all.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings DVE is useful for the user controls. IT has patterns for grayscale ... but you need a meter and software to be able to use those patterns. Glowing red is a color decoder color management issue that needs instrumentation / software to fix correctly. You could just use the color control and turn it down until the reds are tamed ... but that affects all other colors too. Can also go to CMS area if tv has it and select red ... then rgb show up ... take the red control which starts at 50 and take it down ... by ... who knows ... until you are happy. Without gear, you are just guessing. regards

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
on the samsung displays.... start in movie / cinema mode. then make sure the color gamut selection (or whatever it is called) is in auto and not manual / native. then adjust the color control to your liking. At this point if Red is "over saturated" thank the broadcaster as it is not the fault of your Sammy. fun stuff!! Gregg

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Thanks guys - you've been a huge help. I've got it to the point where I'm completely satisfied on the color, and I couldn't have done it without you all. New question. I'm needy, I know. I apologize :) I briefly referenced in the original post that I was having some uniformity issues, as you do on LED sets. I figured that because the set was still in warranty and service visits were free, I'd have a guy come out and take a look at it. He did, and he recommended replacing the screen. He said "Well, I can try this..." Problem is, I do a little research and find that while yes, that could potentially fix the problem, it could also accomplish nothing or even make it worse. The issue started as just flashlighting in the corners, but honestly that's gotten better on its own over the last week or so. The real issue is the general uniformity across the entire screen -- still images are fine, but its pretty excessive whenever the camera pans in any direction. If you load up just a solid grey image on screen, its pretty wild. Its all over the place. So of course, now I'm worried. What are the odds that replacing the panel will make the screen uniformity issues worse? Is that just something that happens occasionally, or is there a legitimately good chance? I talked to Samsung (they do their tech visits through local third parties) and one of the things they said was "Well, it depends on the set, the part, and even the tech." If that's the case, then I don't think I want to do it, as the kid who came to my house really didn't seem... experienced, I guess. I know I'm judging a person's job performance based on a quick meeting, but he really did not make a good first impression. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I give it a shot? Am I just being a fidgety new TV owner and this will all pass?

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Here's a picture of the issue, if that helps. The screen is displaying a solid grey image: Is this excessive, or am I just being finnicky?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
The issue started as just flashlighting in the corners that is a common problem with led and lcds sets. not much you can do about that. my lcd had that problem. sold the tv and got myself a plasma. no more problems with that. Jacob

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Yeah, the flashlighting itself is barely an issue anymore. Its either gotten better in the last two weeks, or I've gotten used to it. General uniformity definitely hasn't gotten better, though. Whenever the camera pans in any direction the brighter areas in the picture I posted rear their ugly head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks