What's new

help with new hdtv and old receiver (1 Viewer)

j1539f

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I'm looking at purchasing a 46" sony lcd tv and have a pioneer vsx-515 receiver. Will I be able to hook all this up to my direct tv hd receiver and enjoy surround sound with regular tv as well as hook up a blu ray dvd player to everything or do I need to purchase a new receiver that has hdmi inputs and and output. We also have a Wii we'd like to hook up but not necessary.

Thanks,

Jeff

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Depending on the number and types of inputs, you will be able to connect everything to the receiver with digital audio connections and enjoy Dolby Digital and DTS audio formats.

I have 3 DirecTV HD receivers, a Blu-ray player and a regular DVD player all connected to a Pioneer VSX-1014 that does not have any HDMI connections. I'm in the process of building some RCA cables to connect the multi-channel analog outputs of my Blu-ray player to the multi-channel analog inputs of my Pioneer. That is the only way I can hear the newer HD audio formats without upgrading my receiver.

j1539f

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
So...if I'm understanding correct. I'd connect the HD receiver to the pioneer receiver with a digital coaxial cable. what would I connect to the TV? Also, how would I connect the blu ray to the TV? an hdmi cable then the digital audio out to the pioneer receiver or something else? I'm pretty sure I get what you guys are saying...thanks for the help.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by j1539f
So...if I'm understanding correct. I'd connect the HD receiver to the pioneer receiver with a digital coaxial cable. what would I connect to the TV?.
Yes. You can use HDMI or component cables (red, blue, and green) from HD receiver to tv, for video.

Also, how would I connect the blu ray to the TV? an hdmi cable then the digital audio out to the pioneer receiver or something else?
Yes. But as mentioned, if you get a player with the multi-channel analog outputs, you can get the HD audio soundtracks from blu ray movies that way. HD audio isn't possible over digital coax or optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks