Help with my setup (1 Viewer)

astrom33

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Here are my components:

Onkyo TX-SR607
2 polk audio tsi300 floorstanding speakers
infinity tss-500 (5.1 surround speaker system).

What would be my best setup? I know the tx-sr607 has bi-amping capabilities, but I have read that that gives you minimal improvement in sound. Where should I place the polk audio speakers? In front? In back?

As you can probably tell I am a complete noob and yet spent close to $1,500 on this system.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The polks don't really match up with the rest of the speakers. Are they new or from a previous system?

I'd probably use the polks to provide 2.0 music to another room, zone 2, and just run 5.1 for your home theater.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Look up the phrase "timbre match". It basically means that your speakers should all sound similar to each other or things will sound strange when panning from speaker to speaker. Normally this means getting speakers from the same manufacturer (all except the sub, that is). You Polks do not match the Infinities.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Generally you want at least your 3 front speakers to be identical or a matching set from the same manufacturer/speaker series, because speakers all have their own characteristic "timbre". When sound pans across the front you don't want it to change as it goes from speaker to speaker. It's not usual to buy floorstanders then a 5.1 set from another manufacturer. Usually one would get the "matching center" for the TSI300, which would be a Polk CS10 or CS20. And normally the matching bookshelves for the surrounds, TSI100s, although matching the surrounds isn't as critical.

So thus the options in my view are:
- just use the polks in another room, run the infinity as 5.1

- use polks in front, *no center speaker* , aka "phantom center", use just 4 of the infinity sats as surrounds.

- (best IMO) return the infinity system (small wimpy sub anyway), fill out the polk system normally with two pair TSI100, CS10 center. Using amazon prices, Onkyo 607 + these + your floorstanders can be had for ~$1160, leaving $300 something to get a good subwoofer based on your original budget. Or consider other sets of speakers entirely if you'd like to spend less.

It might have been better to ask for advice before you bought the speakers, but hopefully you are still in return period and can make some adjustments.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by astrom33

As you can probably tell I am a complete noob and yet spent close to $1,500 on this system.
Are you saying someone sold you both the Polks AND the 5.1 speaker system? If so, take them back and get a single, matching set of 5 speakers. As was already mentioned, the sub can (and really should) be a different brand. Seriously, I would just start over with speakers.

Also, agreeing with Stephen. If only 1 set of speakers can go back, it should be the 5.1. fill the polks out with more polks and a good manufacturer direct sub.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
just to follow up on this, you want the front 3 speakers in your HT setup to sound the same (be "timbre matched"). this is so that as a voice, for example, moves across the listening field, and therefore from right main to center speaker to left main (or vice-versa) you will not hear a noticeable change in how the voice sounds. we are biologically setup up to be very sensitive to subtle differences in human voices in particular. if a voice sounds different we become very aware of that change. if it is because the speakers sound different, we will notice the speakers, which ideally we don't want to do. most people want their HT setup to be as transparent as possible so that it "disappears" allowing us to become more engrossed in the experience of the movie. hearing a voice, or for that matter a car or train or airplane shift from your polks to the infinities is likely to be noticeable and thereby distract you and detract from your HT experience.

but by all means, try using the speakers together and see if you notice what we're talking about. if you don't, great! enjoy! this is ultimately more about what sounds good to you than the theoretically ideal setup. but if you find yourself looking over at the speakers every time a loud noise pans across the speakers, you probably want to make a change. either get a matching polk center or remove the polks from the system altogether. i wouldn't use the polks for surround speakers, if you were considering that as an option.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks