What's new

Help with Logitech Harmony 550 remote? (1 Viewer)

deb27

Auditioning
Real Name
Debbie
After reading some enthusiastic posts from folks on these forums, I decided to take the plunge and buy a Logitech Harmony remote in the hopes of making my life easier (and free up space currently taken up by 6 remotes!).

I almost got it working but I'm stuck on one point. I've posted the problem to Logitech but gotten no response as of yet. Perhaps someone here can give me an idea?

My Nintendo Wii is connected to the AV input on my Olevia Syntax LT27HV TV. My cable box and DVD player are connected to the component inputs on my Sanyo Receiver which, in turn, is connected to the component inputs on the TV. Therefore, when I want to play the Nintendo, I need the TV to switch to the AV input. When I want to watch the cable TV or DVD, I need the TV to switch to the YPbPr inputs.

The remote is controlling the TV and DVD correctly.
16x16_smiley-happy.gif

However when I choose to play a game, the TV source selection chooses the "TV" option and not the "AV" option. I have double checked in the programming configuration and it matches my TV source menu which looks like:

TV

AV

S-Video

YCbCr

YPbPr

VGA

DVI

Each time I choose to play a game, I can see the source menu appear and it scrolls up to the TV option. How can I get it to please stop at the AV option?

The TV remote has a Source button which pops up the onscreen source menu. It has up and down arrow keys which are used to select the source and it has an Enter button which is used to select the source that is highlighted. The remote does not have assigned buttons for the different inputs. The only way to change the source is to pop up the menu and scroll.

Obviously I managed to get the remote programmed to open the source menu and scroll. I just can't get it to stop at the right point.

Many thanks in advance.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
There are two possible ways to fix this, it depends on how your TV behaves and if the remote has codes for direct input selection (the TV may respond to codes in the Harmony database for this even though the supplied original remote doesn't have buttons for them):

1. (Preferred)
Hit "devices" on the remote, then select the TV. Scroll through the list of commands on the LCD buttons, look for commands "Input[something]", like "InputComponent" or "InputVideo". Try the commands out, and see if the TV responds by jumping straight to that input. If this works, figure out which command names jump to the 2 inputs you need. Then go into the setup web pages, go to devices, TV, "adjust inputs". Change from "method 3" to "method 2", one button to jump to an input, answer the wizard questions.

2. (If #1 doesn't work)
Use your current "method 3" under devices/tv/adjust inputs, which pops up a menu then selects the input. I think your problem is likely that your TV skips over inputs that aren't connected. Is this the case? If so, under the wizard, make sure the inputs match what show up on the TV, answer the question about whether it skips unused inputs appropriately, and uncheck the inputs that don't have anything connected.

deb27

Auditioning
Real Name
Debbie
I finally solved the problem but first, let me comment on your suggestions.

1. I did not try this. It's an interesting possibility but given that my TV remote does not have separate buttons for the various input sources, I don't think the odds are very good that there would be codes defined to jump straight to a particular input.
2. No, the TV does not skip over the inputs that aren't connected. I verified that and set the option in the wizard properly.

The solution was to use "Learn Raw" mode to program the InputNext, DirectionUp and DirectionDown buttons. I don't know why raw mode worked and the default "Learn" button for programming the buttons did not. It took me a while to find that raw mode even existed since it's not obvious in the Wizard. You find it after pressing the Custom button on the Learn IR page.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
The odds of your TV responding to discrete input codes is better than you think. There are tons & tons of TVs out there that respond to such codes despite not having the buttons on the OEM remote. It's easy to support an added code in the TV firmware, the manufacturers just omit the buttons from the remote to keep button count down.

There are "Inputxxx" commands in the Harmony database for the LT27HV, it can't hurt to hit "devices", "TV", scroll down to them & see if they have any effect. It's faster & more reliable this way, if it works on your set. If not, at least you found a working method already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks