What's new

Help with hooking up soundbar to LG HDTV (only option is Optical out) (1 Viewer)

skipriot

Auditioning
Real Name
Skip
My tv only has an optical out for a choice of audio out. I bought a OREI digital to analog convertor to hook up a powered speaker. I found out it does not work with digital "over the air" signals. That is my only source for tv. Please help. p.s. the convertor went from optical in to RCA out which i then used a 3.5mm audio jack into the speaker. The sound coming out of the speakers was awful digital scrambling white noise.

skipriot

Auditioning
Real Name
Skip
Just checked, i have no way of turning off DD through my audio menu......only can change settings to "Cinema", "Sport", "Game", etc........Does this mean i'm out of luck?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only option I see even remotely close to "turning off DD" is the setting for "SRS TRUSURROUND XT" (page 83)...

Make sure that is off. Otherwise the only place the TV even mentions DD is "features" (page 8).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
On page 40 it finally does mention 5.1 DD(actually it doesn't mention DD at all, it just says "5.1 channel speakers"...which is DD). However...it makes no mention on how to set the TV as PCM-downmix...

Page 59 it shows the icon for when it is receiving DD. Again, doesn't mention how to ignore DD for PCM downmix(PCM downmix means 2.0)

mccambley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Casey
Is it possible the problem is with the sound bar or the digital converter. What sound bar are you using that does not have a digital input.

Brendan Rothemund

Auditioning
Real Name
Brendan
Click your menu button on the LG remote, go to audio section, right down the very bottom of the new menu is a section called "digital audio out" click this and change it from 'auto' to 'PCM' I have the same TV and accidentally set mine to PCM which took away Dolby Digital. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks