What's new

Help with Home Theater Setup & Design (1 Viewer)

cscmtp

Grip
Real Name
Christopher
quick question about screen placement. I THINK I am going with a 130' screen from Jamestown, and I tried marking it out on the wall. Do you think having the bottom of the screen 27" from the floor and 11" from the ceiling (9 foot ceilings) sounds about right? Would anyone adjust it up or down?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
The general thought is to have your eye level be 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen. This I believe is based on an ergonomic consideration. So I would check how that works with your seating. Also, you need to take into consideration platform height for a second row and whether the bottom of the screen is still visible to them. That is a large screen to accomodate.

The only problem with it being so close to the ceiling is light reflection off the ceiling. In my case, I created a curved stage below the screen, a closed in areas at the sides to hide speakers, and a structure framing off the top of the ceiling out about two feet. This allowed me to stretch the same fabric across that area of the ceiling as I did the whole front wall. As a result, I get no reflection. I also use rope lighting behind my screen for defused lighting. Maybe a picture would help since it is a bit hard to describe, I will try to find one.

cscmtp

Grip
Real Name
Christopher
Starting to think about our seating. Does anyone here have an Ekornes Stressless recliner, sofa, or love seat? I could get a slightly used sofa for $2K. Is it worth the money? It seems people who own these absolutely love them.

aschmitt23

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex Schmitt
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, as well as doing my own home theater set ups with a projector. A friend of mine works for an AV store so I bounced my ideas off of him.

My fiance and I are purchasing our first home and I get the basement 'office.' The room is 11x13 with one, small daylight window. I can easily put something over it to block out the ambient light. Other than that, the room is pitch black.

I recently purchased an Optoma GT720 (1080p, 2500 lumens, HDMI in/outs) and I'll probably just set up my Yamaha HTR-6230, 5.1, in there, just like I have in my apartment now. Other than setting up a surround sound system for my ps3, cable box, 42in hdtv, over the years of moving, that is pretty much my knowledge. I also purchased a FAVI 92" matte white, electronic screen. Got a steal on this and all the reviews were awesome (164 for the set, with two remotes, one of which can be programmed into a universal remote. I'm pretty stoked to set all this up.

I just bought a recliner couch off Craigslist, and since most of my friends live out of town, I won't be needing any theater seating until we expand the room out into the rest of the basement in a few years. I just realized that the ceiling mount that I purchased is only 5", and the projector calculator says that I'll need 8.4" from the ceiling, but until we move in, and after I take the bar exam, I'm not really going to mess with everything. Plus, I'm not sure if the ceiling has tiles or what, so I'm thinking I may just be able to make a 2x2 wooden extension and mount the mount onto that.

If anyone has any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated as, again, I am new to this, but really looking forward to it.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks