What's new

Help with HDTV Antenna hardware selection in SW Lower Michigan (1 Viewer)

Dean_L

Grip
I am in DIRE STRAITS! :frowning:

I consider myself an above-average amateur when it comes to HT and HDTV. I live approximately between 25-35 miles from most of my HDTV broadcasting antenna sites. All HD channels are in the Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo area (for info, go to http://www.hdtvpub.com and enter 49424 for the ZIP code in the 'Find Local HDTV' box).

It seems that no matter what I try, I am only able to pull in my FOX station.

My current equipment

Samsung SIR-TS160 DirecTV Satellite Receiver
RCA Amplified indoor antenna ANT1250
--- have also tried---
Terk antenna that goes around outside of DirecTV dish

MY PROBLEMS:

1. I live on the first-floor of a west-facing two-story apartment w/8 units built in 1979. (year may/may not matter here)
2. I am surrounded by trees that average twenty feet tall.
3. Radio interference may be a little high as I run a computer 24/7.
4. I am unable to get a clear line-of-sight out to a window.
5. I have little funds to upgrade this equipment.

Can anyone review this along with the information from the website I provided above and give me some suggestions? I'd sure appreciate it. I'd love to be able to watch '24' and the NFL playoffs in HD again.

Thank you in advance!

Dean

DougR

Second Unit
The only thing I can tell you, is that the "Indoor Antenna's" will have to go!!

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I plugged your zip code into www.antennaweb.org. That site gives you a little more information than the one you posted. According to antennaweb, you need a rooftop antenna, either a large multi-directional or smaller directional with pre-amp. Good luck.

Dean_L

Grip
I neglected to mention that I've been to this site as well. A rooftop, outdoor antenna is out of the question (live in apt - nothing mounted to bldg.). Because I face to the west, isn't that going to complicate my situation further?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks