What's new

Help with component placement (1 Viewer)

ryan-w

Agent

So, I just bought a new Samsung UN55D7000 and am rearranging the room to hang it on the wall. Now, take a look at the picture above and you can see where I was planning on putting the components (DirecTV, Surround Sound, Blu-Ray, xBox360, etc.) but my problem lies in running that amount of wires around the room. This is a 2 story house and this is on the 1st floor so the ceiling isn't an option. I was thinking of running them to the left of the TV along the baseboard and then along the threshold in front of the sliding glass door and around that way. But, how would I get the remote's to work if they were hidden like that? They would all be out of view of the remote controls....Now, if anyone else has any other sugggestions or even if you can come up with a better place you think the components would look/work best I'd appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance to all,

Ryan

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Do you have speakers or are you planning on using the TV speakers? Do you have a crawlspace or is your floor a concrete slab? If you have a crawlspace you could just run them down under the floor and up the wall behind the TV. Assuming you have an HDMI receiver you would just need to run one wire to the TV, and speaker wire.

As to the remote, your best bet is to invest in a universal remote that can do IR and RF. That would control all of your components without needing them to be line of sight. There are some adapters you can put on regular remotes, but if you are using multiple remotes it would probably be cheaper to just get a new universal remote like the Harmony One ($165) with RF extender kit ($56).

ryan-w

Agent
I do have speakers and I forgot to put them in the picture. But, there is already one on the wall to the right of where the TV is in the pic and I am planning on putting another one on the left of the TV as well. I would also be placing one on the left of the couch, probably on the wall where the sliding glass door ends or something.

I do not have a crawlspace and I didn't want to put them on the wall with the TV as I wanted to have that wall with just the TV on it for a nice clean look. I'll didn't think about the RF remote and my DirecTV remote is an RF remote so I can just turn that function on and it'll be good to go....Thanks for reminding me. :) I'll keep you guys posted on how things come out, in the meantime I'll be removing the baseboards and running some new wires.....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can't just throw speakers in a room like you just described. The front three speakers have to be in the front, not on side walls. From what you described, you'd be better to just use the TV's speakers and skip the whole surround system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks