What's new

HELP! Totally, 100% Confused by All These Connections! (1 Viewer)

AnnM

Agent
Sorry to be posting so much about the same thing, but the TV is just sitting in the cabinet with nothing connected. I've read, re-read, drawn diagrams and talked to people and I'm so totally exasperated by all of this. Doing brain surgery must be simpler.

OK, I've redone the wiring plan, but there are so many connections that it looks like I've duplicated things and I really do not know what all of these are supposed to do, how they are to interact, what controls what, etc. Not my field of expertise. Now I see why having a pro do this is worth the price, but have no extra money now. Also, have no nerves left!

Please help if you can.

Here is the newest plan:

OPTIONS FOR CABLE HOOKUP WITH LG 26LV2500 HDTV, SONY DVD, PANASONIC VCR, DENON RECEIVER, FIOS HDTV CABLE BOX (REVISED)

FIOS Cable Box

RF in from wall

RF out to VCR RF in

HDMI to LG HDTV HDMI

Digital Audio Coax out to Denon Digital Coax in

Audio out (red/white) to Denon TV Audio in

Video out (yellow) to Denon TV Video in

Component Video out to Denon component TV Video in

Panasonic VCR

VCR RF in to FIOS RF out

VCR RF out to LG HDTV RF in

Audio out (red/white) to Denon VCR Audio in

Audio in (red/white) to Denon VCR Audio out

Video out-yellow to Denon VCR Video in

Video in-yellow to Denon VCR Video out

Denon Receiver

Denon VCR video out to VCR Video in-yellow

Denon VCR video in to VCR Video out-yellow

Denon VCR audio out to VCR Audio in (red/white)

Denon VCR audio in to VCR Audio out (r/white)

Denon Monitor out-yellow to LG HDTV Video in-yellow

Denon TV Video in to FIOS Video out (yellow)

Denon Component Video Monitor out to LG HDTV component Video in

Denon Component Video DVD in to DVD component Video out

Denon Component Video TV in to FIOS component Video out

Denon Digital Opt-1 in to DVD Optical out

Denon Digital Opt-2 in to LG HDTV Optical out

Denon Digital Coax in to FIOS Digital Audio Coax out

Sony DVD

Digital Optical out to Denon Digital Opt-1 in

Component video out to Denon component-video DVD in

LG HDTV

HDMI to FIOS box

Digital Optical out to Denon Digital Opt-2 in

Component video in to Denon component video out

Online Manuals & Schematics

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Photos/Default.aspx?i=68926LV25&tp=35945

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/dht683xp_productsheet.pdf

http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR1603_DHT683XP_ownersmanual.pdf

Sony DVP-NC655P progressive scan DVD player.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/158/158DVC655B.PDF

Panasonic PV-9664 VCR

http://www.retrevo.com/support/Panasonic-PV-9664-VCRs-manual/id/620dj199/t/2/

Verizon FIOS HD Cable Box

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/fios/motorola%20qip7100%20user%20guide.pdf

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I think your main source of confusion is you're trying to make unneeded connections. This should be pretty easy; the one sticking point is recording on your VCR - and that's only going to be a problem if the Denon doesn't send a component signal out on composite (and I couldn't find a warning, so we may be lucky).

Let's try this first without using the VCR recording connections.

RF cable to cable box.

Component (R/G/B) from cable box to Denon Rcvr.

Optical from cable box to Rcvr.

Component from DVD to Rcvr.

Optical from DVD to Rcvr.

Composite (Y) from VCR to Rcvr. (3rd one down on the rcvr; not the bottom one.)

Stereo (R/W) from VCR to Rcvr.

Component from Rcvr to TV.

Composite from Rcvr to TV. (This may not be needed. In fact, try it without it first; then we'll know how bad the recording problem is going to be.)

Those connections should allow you to watch everything. If that works we'll deal with recording.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Excellent job Al

I was trying to take a stab at this and came up with the same thing but I got hung up trying to set up the VCR to both play and record so I gave up. I think one of the things that confused Ann was in her earlier posts she wanted the option of using her new TV with or without having to turn on her receiver. That would be a very difficult if not impossible task, and if it could be done would require many cables and would offer no benefits as the speakers that come in the new TV's are very poor.

AnnM

Agent
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Everything worked fine with the old Sony Trinitron system. I was using S-video instead of component and HDMI. Also had analog audio out (not on LG) and life was good. Joke.

The VCR played and recorded without trouble. The FIOS standard def box was used then. I think (it's becoming a blur) that Verizon initially had the RF coming from the wall to the VCR then to the box and then to the TV. Now I'm trying to hook the high def cable box from the wall to the VCR.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Ann,

Just take one component at a time and connect it as Al says and then move on to the next. I might suggest that you do the cable box to the receiver first and then move on to the last step the receiver to the TV. If this works then you will give you confidence that you have connected your cable box to both your receiver to get sound and video to you TV. If something goes wrong we can trouble shoot before you move on to the DVD and VCR.

RF cable to cable box.

Component (R/G/B) from cable box to Denon Rcvr.

Optical from cable box to Rcvr.

Component from Rcvr to TV

AnnM

Agent
Tomorrow is plug in cable day. I'm trying to juggle many things right now. As the Arnold famously said, "I'll be back!"

AnnM

Agent
Bill and Al. And everyone. I've been buying cables and put way more money in mid-line cables than I wanted, but that's done. Before opening all of them up, I decided to play with some connections. If I can return unopened cables, that's better than opening them if I don't need to. But, before making all of the connections you guys recommended, I made a few connections and here's what I've got. Please let me know what is what. I think the TV is the hub because I have to change from HDMI to Component to Composite within the TV menu.

The LG 26LV2500 is a nice little LED TV. Doesn't have all of the features that I'm used to with Sony. Color is great straight on but seems like there are a lot of scenes that are nearly B&W. I've got it set to standard video and vivid is more colorful. Anyway, looks like I'll be keeping the LG since I couldn't find a Samsung UN26D4000 anywhere locally. Probably not much difference.

OK, here's what I've done. I thought I'd try this first and then go to your plan. It uses fewer cables, but if you strongly believe in going with more cables configured differently, I'll do that. The TV works with its own sound or with the receiver when that's on. The DVD works fine. The VCR only plays and doesn't record like in the old system that had the wall cable going into the VCR then standard definition box. Would like to record off high def box connected to VCR.

Also, I noticed that I have to be careful switching from DVD to TV because the volume for TV on the receiver is -30 and the equivalent for DVD is -20 so I sometimes blast myself out of the room. Is this normal? Should the receiver volume be in the minus range and still fairly loud?

RF from wall to cable box

HDMI from TV to cable box

Dig Optical from TV to receiver opt-2

Dig Optical from DVD to receiver opt-1

Component RGB from DVD to TV

Composite YRW from cable box to VCR in

Composite Yellow VCR out to Composite Yellow TV in

Composite RW from VCR out to receiver VCR audio in

How is this different from Al and Bill's set up? Appreciate your still helping with this, guys.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
As you pointed out, you're using the TV as the hub. That's not generally recommended for two reasons, (1) receivers are designed to be a hub and TVs are not, and (2) TVs generally do not send a surround signal out on the optical (so you only get surround when the source is the TV's tuner).

However, you want to use the TV speakers and the receiver, something else that's not recommended (in this case, just because we're HT/audio geeks). And you connected an optical from the DVD to the receiver, so you won't lose you'r main surround source. All-in-all your approach should work, albeit possibly with more futzing around with the controls when you change sources - but they have universal remotes for that.

AnnM

Agent
Hi Al. Thanks for replying. Yes, I have been futzing with five remotes. Lots of futzing around.

If I switch over to your initial recommended wiring plan, will I lose the ability to just listen to the tv speakers when all other pieces (rec, dvd, vcr) are turned off?

What must I do with current setup or your plan to gain vcr recording? If the wall RFgoes to the vcr first and then to the hidef cable box, will I lose hidef going from the box to the tv via HDMI?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Ann,

I would suggest that you go back to Al's origianal plan and try to use the receiver as your hub. TV were not designed to do that task. I don't know why you are hung up on trying to listen to you TV through the junk speakers that come with todays sets as it adds a whole lot of extra cables and reduces 5.1 surround to 2 channel setero. Besides I am retiired from our local Electric and Gas Utility and we want folks to run as many electrical appiances as we like to keep those meters spinning.

When wealth and prosparity comes your way you can invest in a modern receiver that has HDMI connections and the world wil become much easier.

A good univeral make by Harmony will reduce your five remotes to one.

AnnM

Agent
OK, I'll give the receiver hub method a go. Any suggestions on how to record on the vcr?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Any suggestions on how to record on the vcr?

To decide how to best go about that it would help to hear back on the question of whether your receiver sends composite out on component. (The manual was vague, see my first post.)

AnnM

Agent
I'm up and running, guys. I want to thank Al and Bill, especially, for hanging with me and also, my thanks to Robert Silva, a home theater guide at About.com Home Theater. All of you guys convinced me to go the receiver hub route. I have just what I wanted now--TV with TV sound or Receiver and 5.1 surround for when I want to play a DVD or play a tape or give extra boom to the TV. I am also able to record onto the VCR.

The little LG has a beautiful picture and quite good sound for its size. Better than last year's model that I listened to. So, I'm quite pleased and appreciate everyone's working with me. I won't rant too long about Best Buy's customer service except to say that they prefer to charge for Geek Squad rather than help you and they let you know that at every chance. And, this was true at both stores I worked with. So, glad you guys were here and aren't sending me a bill!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Ann,

Congratulations of getting your HT set up the way you wanted and sticking with it when you were confused. If it is any consolation you now know as much if not more about HT installation than the person at Best Buy who sold you your TV. My guess is we may be around the same age and face many of the same challenges the electronic age presents us. From computers to cell phones, to digital cameras, and Home Theater their are many things that confuse those who grew up in simpler times.

About your LG TV, I was looking at a 32" at Costco and was impressed with its picture quality it was right up there with what I saw from Sony, Samsung, and Vizeo.

Now it's time to kick back, open a decent bottle of wine and enjoy your new rig, Please stop by even if it is just say hi.

AnnM

Agent
You mentioned growing up in simpler times. You are so correct. I was thinking today, as I watched my TV, that I just wanted to watch a program, not multi-task. I'm really a voice crying in the wilderness when I say, "I don't need to have crawlers, logos, and voice over commercials during my program." Grr. Just let me watch the show that I'm paying a lot of money for--equipment, electricity, and cable. Yes, I do remember those simpler times and appreciate TCM for showing movies without logos, breaking news, and commercials. I wonder why people spend thousands on fantastic HT setups only to find a dearth of programming worth watching. Oh, well, guess we become accustomed to what we are presented, but it's harder when you've seen that simpler is better sometimes. Now I'm looking for a new cell phone. A good quality phone without TV built in--just phone calls, please!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't need to have crawlers, logos, and voice over commercials during my program.

I'm with you. In fact, except for sports I don't watch TV anymore - DVDs or streaming.

And BTW, I'm also gald it all worked out for you.

As for the phone, I still have my $39 pay-as-you-go phone from T-Moble that I purchased 4 years ago. It does nothing but make calls, but the battery will last for over a week. I'm not looking forward to having to get a new one.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Ann,

When I say simpler times I mean one 24" black and white TV with three channels, plus a bonus of one Canadian channel and we watched what my parents selected. The one phone in the house was located on a desk in the kitchen.

What I find so frustrating with most of today's TV programing found on cable is the difference between the volume of the commercials and the program you are watching. I am fortunate that my receiver allows me to program various reductions for my mute button. I find a 10db reduction tends to tame the volume enough to even things out. But it's a real pain because you have to keep the remote on the arm rest so that you don't get blasted when the commercials come on.. We are looking forwarded to TCM being added to a HD channel this spring. It will be interesting to see if HD can add anything to those old films.

As far as Cell phones go we switched from regular service to pre paid block of minutes and could keep our old 2004 vintage phones. I get a kick out of seeing young kids together as a group they are all talking or texting on their phones to someone else. One wonders why they bothered to get together in the first place.

I have been interested in photography for over 40 years. About a month ago I made the jump to a D-SLR full auto mode was simple but oh the horror as I tried to wade through the 335 page owners manual to try to learn all the features this camera has.

AnnM

Agent
Hi again, Bill and Al. Yes, I grew up with B&W TV and the screen was quite small and housed in a big wood cabinet. No, our fridge did not have a cooling system sitting on top, as I recall! But, I do remember the duck dropping down during Groucho Marx!

Returning to college forced me to learn computers, but the initiation was rough. I started in the mid 90s with Win95 and tried most brands of computers: IBM, Compaq, NEC, Gateway. With IBM, I spent days talking with techs in Toronto and Dublin, Ireland. That was interesting in a tortuous way, but they were very helpful. Equipment and software then didn't work together well.

I, too, am into digital photography. Bought my first digicam in 2004--Panasonic FZ20--but, despite its great Leica lens, it performed poorly in low light. So, made the switch to DSLR and Nikon. I enjoy that a great deal, but there is much yet to learn.

Well, again, thank you all for jumping to the rescue and helping me with the TV hookup. I have copied everyone's instructions and filed them for future reference. I expect the LG to perform well. Miss Sony, but I may give them another chance in the future. They have a lot of good competition now, especially from Samsung and LG. They cannot rest on their laurels.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Ann,

I had the same low light problem with my first digital I purchased in 2004, and Olympus 8080 WZ. It took good photos under most conditions but it was slow to zoom and auto focus, which made in unacceptable for any kind of motion photography. About a month ago I purchased a Nikon D-7000 with a Nikkor 18-200 mm VR lens. It is as if I have a complete color dark room housed inside of body of this camera. Most of the learning curve was the same as 35mm film. But things like ISO and White Balance were things we controlled by the film we purchased. The thing I am concerned with is all of the other features this Camera has. How am I ever going to remember what they are and how to use them without having to carry the manual with me.

AnnM

Agent
Today's culture would say, "Take your owner's manual CD and transfer it to your iPod, iPhone, or other smart gadget!" Personally, I still prefer paper to plastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks