What's new

Help! Subwoofer barely audible in new room. (2 Viewers)

Geno

Supporting Actor
Actually its those damn dorm room walls. im assuming your parents house is a wood constructed house and you had the sub on a wood/joist floor. now you have moved in where the walls floor and ceiling are concrete. many ppl have this problem when they test their sub in their living room then move it down to the basement by their HT. try to turn on some loud music then walk down your hallway, you should here it outside of your room. its just audio physics. I cant suggest much if you want to shake the walls. concrete is hard to shake.

just my $.02

EricHM

Agent
Cars are different because the physical volume of air in there is so much smaller and you get a huge boost in bass due to the vehicle's transfer function (resonance). Even a very small room really usually can't compare to the bass output you get in a car......

In my parents house, I tested the woofer in two rooms....once in a fairly large living room easily 3-4 times the size of my dorm room with tile floors, wall paper, and a sheet rock type celing.

The other was a bedroom on thh second floor with carpetted floors with sheet rock type walls and celings. In both of these rooms the subwoofer sounded much louder thant what it does in the dorm.

My dorm is on the 4th floor, so I doubt the floor is concrete, but the celing and walls are made from a very hard plaster type material and the celings are a few feet taller than they were in the house. You're right, when I walk down the hall I can hear the bass pretty loudly. I'll try getting a Y connector soon to see if that helps.

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
Unless it's a very old building, most building codes require buildings taller than 3 stories out of ground to be made of an incombustible structure such as steel or concrete... no wood.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
The longest room dimension, the diagonal, will determine the ability of the room to support low frequencies. Ideally we would like to have a diagonal dimension equal to or greater than the wavelength of the lowest frequency we expect to generate within the room. A 20 Hz wavelength is 56.6 feet in length. Fortunately, we need only one-quarter of this dimension to achieve adequate bass response.
More info like this at Room Acoustics

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't be surprised if the room was at fault at all. In my normal listening position, in my dorm room, the output of my subwoofer is weak compared to when I put it in my parent's living room, which has very high celings, opens into the kitchen and is a very large room overall.

Now, if I stand in the corner in my dormroom, its loud, but it varies with frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks