What's new

Help Pls. Sudden convergence issue with Panasonic PT-47WX49 (1 Viewer)

Ron.Brown

Auditioning
Hi all:
Looking for some help. This set (rear projection) has performed flawlessly since purchased new in 2001. Came home today, turned it on, and convergence was WAY off in certain areas...so bad that the lower middle and lower left corner were not even adjustable, due to double images of the cross. In addition, the lower 1/3 or so of the screen image is..."curvy" for lack of technical words...and the images are overlayed in lavendar/green hues that I cant adjust. the upper right corner is slightly off, convergence wise, as well. But the lower 1/4 of the screen is not just a color issue, but a double image type of issue as well. Can barely read the cable screen menus. On the convergence screen....my problems are very evident on the Convergence 2 screen.

Crosshairs that are represented by the #3, #7, and #8 key are essentially double images now. For each of the crosshair #'s I mentioned, there are two crosshairs. One represented by one cross that is green and crooked. These green crosshairs are above the normal location of where these crosshairs are supposed to be.

The "normal" location of the #3, #7, and #8 crosshairs is occupied by a purple/pinkish version of the normally all white crosshair. For the most part, the remaining crosshairs (#1, #2, #4, #6, and #8) are ok, or at least I was able to correct their convergence.

Any suggestions as to what this might be? The TV has been working fine, hasn't been bumped, jarred, and is always connected to a high quality surge protector.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

P.S. The above problem is with any input..DVD, or cable.

Im guessing something has gone wrong with a lens? I have no idea, but I'm fairly handy with mild electronics. Is this a common issue? Something I can fix myself? Or is it time to call for a tech? If so, any recommendations for the Laurel, MD area for a tech?

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you can't adjust it. You have lost convergence on some or all of the individual guns.

This is the common CRT RP failure right here. Generally under $300 at your local TV servicer. Pretty old display by todays standards, you may want to just move on.

But if it is HD, the repair can be justified cost wise.

Ron.Brown

Auditioning
John:
Thanks so much for the response. It is HD ready, and shows HD just fine (with the HD Cable box I have).

Is this by chance a "simple" repair that I could perhaps do myself, if I obtain the parts, and some advice from this forum? Or is it time to call in the pros. Budget is TIGHT right now. :)

thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
It can range from simple to fairly extensive trouble shooting. If the display was newer, they generally would replace the entire PCB and not bother with component lovel trouble shooting it. But in an older display, they generally will try to find the component, which takes up a majority of the repair cost in labor.

I have fixed a few through the years, and you know what? I would now take it into a local repair outfit even with the size and weight. If it is simple and they are reputable the repair should not cost that much anyways. Probably not your CRT gun in my expeirences, this is usually something in or on the convergence board itself.

This could be a very simple repair if you can order a convergence board for your set, but beware, that initital convergence with a fresh board is very frustrating, so there is a benefit to replairing the board itself.

Ron.Brown

Auditioning
John:
Thanks so much again. So based upon my description of the issue, you seem fairly certain the issue can be resolved by replacing the convergence board. correct? At this point, taking it out to a shop is pretty much out of the question...I had hell getting it in here (3 story townhome), and really don't want to negotiate that narrow stairwell again.

Your last statement is slightly confusing...you say "the initial convergence with a fresh board is very frustrating, so there is a benefit to replacing the board itself".

Can you clarify?

Again, my options at this point is either to call a tech in, or try to order the part you suggested, and go for it myself.

Thanks!

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: Your last statement is slightly confusing...you say "the initial convergence with a fresh board is very frustrating, so there is a benefit to replacing the board itself".

He didn't say, replacing the board, he said there is a benefit to repairing the board.

Sorry I can't help. I have the same set and it has serviced me flawlessly for years. I even had it ISF'd around 3 years ago. HD still looks great on this set, but I would be tempted to replace it if I were to run into a $300 repair bill. I know that these sets were selling as recently as a year ago at Costco for something like $800, so I wouldn't be too willing to drop a mint on it.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I replaced a convergence board with a fresh one once and man, about brought me to the brink getting the guns in good geometry again.

Repairing the board, at least you generally will only have one gun and at least have the other gus to be the reference for it.

On a fresh board, all your convergence will be all over the place to the point you will freak when you first power up after replacement.

Ron.Brown

Auditioning
John:
Ok..I am understanding a bit more clearly now. Is there any relatively straightforward way (for a non TV technician like myself)to troubleshoot the board and determine what is faulty? Im handy with a digital multimeter and soldering gun...if its going to require more advanced tools than that, sounds like it's time to call in the pros.
Thanks
Ron

John S

Senior HTF Member
Much easier when it is a bad solder joint or like hitting the set makes it work again. Or when it happens when it is either cold or hot, with a total component failure, you really need some insider / experienced help. The service manual would probably lead to some answers at the component level though.

I'm not discouraging you, just attempting to let you know what your really in for if you go digging into this issue.

Knowing what I know about working on these giants, I'd solicit some help and take it to the shop. But that is just me.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most of the smaller shops are pretty good these days. And they are for the most part a far cry from the cluttered dirty repair shops of yesteryear. Most actually seem quite professional when you walk in these days. Most have some experienced, trained with modern technology techs working at them as well.

Great guys to get to know in all honesty.

scotdash8

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott A
I had the same problem. It sounds like your convergence amps need to be replaced. Go to this website and there is great step by step pictures and instructions. If you have ever handled a solder iron you can do this. I got an estimate to have it fixed and it was 400.00. I did it myself for 26.00 and that included the soldering iron. Good luck. Scott

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got the same problem. I have a samsung HC-4755w. I got it in 2006. I don;t know if the problem was there from the beginning. I was always having problems with the tv.. like the PQ was not sharp. I don;t think I got the bottom right corner ever to be focus just right either. I was messing around with the coverage and notice that I could get it sharp.. but then it would go out when the tv was off.. so I have to keep doing the coverage everytime I turn on the tv. I am having a person come and take a look at it on monday. I rather not have them do it at the shop.. since when I had my other tv.. they were not able to find anything wrong with it. this time I have more evidence of it. compained to samsung about it.

hopefully it will look better when I am able to get the board replaced. I am not very tech with inside tv sets. not even going to attempt to fix it myself.

Jacob

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Not sure if you realized this, but you do need to give a (CRT-based) RPTV some time to warm up and settle in after you turn it on. Give it at least 30min, preferably more, before you do any kind of setup/calibration work (or critically judge whether the picture is too soft and/or convergence out of alignment).

But yeah, apart from that, there should also be (internal) adjustments for things like focus. On the old Panny's there were 2 sets of focus adjustments. Don't know about the Sammy's.

OTOH, I don't think the others were talking about the same issue as yours. The fairly common problem mentioned for the Panny's basically made the picture completely unwatchable, not just a bit soft or the like. Nobody would mistake it for anything other than a malfunction.

_Man_

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Hey Scott, thanks for the link - this was exactly my problem too. I had originally thought I had a tube problem, and since the TV was so old I was going to retire the set. But since it was only the convergence ICs I decided to stretch the set a bit more. I'm all thumbs so I paid the $300; but I watched the repair and you're right, for someone reasonably coordinated it doesn't look that hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks