What's new

Help Please (1 Viewer)

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
Hello, I need some assistance in planning my new audio video setup. My house is currently being remodeled and what I want to achieve is the following: Covered Patio: with speakers for the outdoor tv and that can play music from stereo/ipod (receiver in house?) Main Room: Large TV with 5.1 Sound How generally should I go about setting this up? Can a receiver in the house run the audio for both TV's? Do I need to run HDMI from the patio to the main setup, etc?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need(to make it easy) a 2-zone HDMI AVR(Denon 3312 is the least expensive). You will have 2.0 sound outside...unless you spend more on the AVR to gain 2.1. So what is your overall budget for this? With "judicious spending" this is still a $5000 endeavor...doing it cheap.

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. What causes the extreme expense? Are multiple zone receivers pricey? I don't have a set budget but I'm not trying to go too crazy in either zone.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well. I'm under the assumption you have to buy two TVs. An outdoor permanent TV is $2000+. Your main TV is $1000+. Your AVR is $1000+. There's $4000 and you haven't spent anything for speakers yet.

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
Ah, sorry that I wasn't more clear. I'm spending about $2300 for a Panasonic 65" Plasma for inside and $700 for a cheapish LED for outside.

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
it's very well covered but not enclosed. It's 22 x 16 and the TV will be mounted above the mantle of the outdoor fireplace.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://www.amazon.com/SunBriteTV-Signature-Outdoor-All-Weather-Television/dp/B005N97EMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359595742&sr=1-1&keywords=sunbrite+Model+4660HD http://store.sunbritetv.com/p-145-model-4660hd.aspx

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, this $700 TV, the first time you leave it outside...and the dew point makes it wet...you just lost your warranty. That Sunbrite, which you can leave outside...pretty much 9 months(based on where I live) of the year...has 2 years.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And just in case it isn't obvious yet... A TV meant for outdoor use is juiced up on the brightness, so you know...you can actually see it when the sun is out...

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
Many of my friends use covers such as this http://www.customcoolcovers.com/?gclid=CMnOudy6kbUCFQq0nQoddXkA_w here in Houston and their TV's are lasting for 2-3 years. That's basically what I was planning to do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, you'll spend $700 every couple of years...instead of $2500-ish for a TV that will last a decade... Plus you better make sure your friends are buying indoor TVs instead of outdoor. Granted, I'm near Chicago. I would not even fathom 2 seconds thought attempting to place an indoor TV outside.

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
Yes, not a single person I know has an actual outdoor TV. Regarding the Denon Receiver, how does that work exactly for the patio? HDMI running from the outdoor TV's cable box to the receiver and speaker wire running from the receiver to the outdoor speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, you'd run it that way. If you want separate channels, you connect two STB to the Denon. Then the AVR itself sends over the audio via wires. I haven't "read the manual" of the 3312, so you might have to make additional analog audio connections for all the devices you intend to run outside(since it is stereo only, no big deal). Unless you just listen to the TV. Or, you buy a TV with an analog output(getting scarce, but you can find them) to an outdoor audio system(there are numerous "all weather receivers" and I highly recommend if "feeding audio from the TV"...you don't attempt an "indoor receiver" outside).

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
schan1269 said:
You need(to make it easy) a 2-zone HDMI AVR(Denon 3312 is the least expensive). You will have 2.0 sound outside...unless you spend more on the AVR to gain 2.1. So what is your overall budget for this? With "judicious spending" this is still a $5000 endeavor...doing it cheap.
Is the newer 3313 Denon as good as the 3312? It seems to be available at better pricing.

ktex1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Thompson
Now, I'm really confused. Everything I've been reading I thought said that the 3312 had 2nd zone HDMI but you are saying it doesn't and that I'd have to get the 3313?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
3312 has two HDMI output...for twin displays. 3313 has those two plus a third for 2nd zone. Look at a picture of the back of them and they are labeled as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks