1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help please

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dmid94, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dmid94

dmid94 New Member

I am having issues connecting my 52 inch sony xbr-6 to a HTPC; I previously had it working fine but the old PC failed and now, the only way I can get it to work is to start the pc with the video connection to the PC disconnected. After the computer boots up I can connect the tv and all is fine. The computer hangs up on the boot screen if left connected during startup.
    The old computer was AMD based with 2 nvidia 7600GT's in SLI; the new one is an intel based quad core with a single nvidia 8800GTS. Both machines are custom builds of my own creation. Both machines ran Windows XP.
    I use a DVI to HDMI adapter with a dvi cable; I have also tried an HDMI cable with an HDMI to DVI adapter with the same results.
    Anyone ever hear of this?

2. DaniMacl

DaniMacl New Member

If you still have the older 7600s try putting them into the computer. double check the 8800 is installed properlly, with a power supply that can handle it. thoughs are my suggestions

3. Paul D G

Paul D G Well-Known Member

Probably a driver issue. Get the latest drivers for your card.

Also, monitor the boot process to see what kills it. F8 during POST, select Enable Boot Logging. It will write to a file called Ntbtlog.txt in your system root. You can look at this and see where the problem is. It should also display what is being loaded on the screen so you can see where it hangs live.

4. don monteith

don monteith Well-Known Member

You may also want to update your BIOS and make sure your boot order is set to boot from the Hard Drive first. I haven't seen this particular issue but I have seen where even having an external hard drive installed via USB, will make a Windows XP box hang on boot. Fixing issues like this in the BIOS usually does the trick. And yes, definitely update your video drivers.

Don