What's new

help picking a sub (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Armand_Boivin said:
FoxyMulder, Thank you so much for everything so far.. You have been a tremendous help. right now on the conservative side I am leaning toward the PB-1000 it is about $250 less than the cylindrical SVS and about $200 less than the HSU. I will continue to do my research and look at everything that this thread has brought to light. I really am looking for the best bang for the buck on a budget ($500-$700) but would definitely rather stay more toward the lower part of the budget ;-)
Consider the long term benefits of the HSU, for $200 more you get a more powerful subwoofer and a great warranty to boot, its worth stretching that extra $200 i think, sure the PB-1000 will be fine but the HSU has better bass extension at higher volume levels and i think its worth going for over the PB-1000.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, I sent you looking for the VK12 because, in another forum, there is a hysterical review/opinion of it that will have you laughing and crying...at the same time.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Armand_Boivin said:
hate to throw something else in the mix, but what r your thoughts on these? http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html
Yes that is another good subwoofer, can't go wrong with the ones already mentioned on this thread including this one, now it comes down to personal taste, another thing is the SVS and HSU will play louder at lower frequencies and have slightly more extension but if you aren't playing at near reference levels and don't want that extra few lower hertz then that isn't an issue.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
What size is the room, including openings, and how loud do you like to listen to your home theater?

The SVS SB12-NSD has been recommended numerous times. The Outlaw LFM1-EX is another solid performer. The Rythmik Audio LVR-12 could be in the mix as well. For $800, the Power Sound Audio XV15 should be in the coversation. If you have something readily available to power it with, the CraigSub SS-18.1 from Chase Home Theater could be in the mix.

Tom, part owner of PSA and prior founder of SVS, is an absolute joy to work with and will not try to sell you something which you may not need. Personal experience here: he was guiding me towards a PSA XV15 though I ultimately decided to go with an XS30 as the Rythmik FV15HP was outside my budget.

Ideally you want to purchase something which will last you for several years to come. It may be worth delaying purchasing a sub now for something which will better suit your needs and wants. Wouldn't rule out purchasing a used sub either for there are excellent deals to be had.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got an SVS cylinder sub, from three years ago, and love it. When I bought it, the cylinders were the better value vs box. I haven't compared prices recently. I've no doubt that other subs are very good; but I'd been lusting for an SVS for a decade prior, from reading this forum :)If I could move the cylinder to the basement and change my living room setup, I'd go for a cube now.

Armand_Boivin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
armand Boivin
sorry guys.. I will try to get the measurements tonight. I had forgotten about it, but will get the measurements tonight.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
DaveF said:
I've got an SVS cylinder sub, from three years ago, and love it. When I bought it, the cylinders were the better value vs box. I haven't compared prices recently. I've no doubt that other subs are very good; but I'd been lusting for an SVS for a decade prior, from reading this forum :)If I could move the cylinder to the basement and change my living room setup, I'd go for a cube now.
Had a 20-39CS for several years and enjoyed it. 2nd best sub I've ever owned, bested only by the PSA XS30 I have now. Changed subs initially due to WAF. Most recently due to upgraditis and the AV123 Onix Rocket UFW-10 wasn't cutting it.

tuffluck

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
You could probably do a little better with that budget, but the RW-12d is a steal at $280 on Newegg right now.

DaleAV

Agent
I've had an Outlaw LFM-1EX for a over 3 years now, and never a regret. But for sure there are many fine alternatives.

hyghwayman

Agent
Real Name
Donnie
Armand...
SVS subs would be a great choice in your price range and a great bang for the buck, tons of good reviews, some say the best customer service in the industry, no hassle 45 day in home trial, 100% trade up in the 1st year. I have not heard either of the entry SVS sub but have the SB13-Ultra in my HT and simply love what it has done to the rest of my system, really makes my entry level Pioneer speakers sing.

a perfect match.jpg

DBUSZKO

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis Buszko
I have a polk 12" powered sub, and I really like it. It is smooth sounding and not distorted and should be in your price range. I also have a Eosone sub which is not as good but this product has been discontinued for sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks