What's new

Help! Panasonic TC-P65VT30 Problem (1 Viewer)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I purchased the Panasonic TC-P65VT30 plasma display about a month and a half ago, and until now have been knocked out by its picture quality. However, when I turned it on today, I found a black band running from the top to the bottom of the picture, about three quarters of the way across the screen. I tried checking my settings and even unplugged it for an hour, but to no avail. I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow, but in the meantime I'm panicked and desperate, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas I could try. Anyone? :( - Mark

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Nice TV, I have last years model (TV25). Is it on every source? If you are running everything through a receiver what happens if you run a source directly to the receiver? Is it on all HDMI inputs? Just trying to narrow down the problem.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Hi Adam. All of my HDMI inputs run through my Integra receiver then on to the TV. But I also have the same problem when I use the tuner to watch cable TV -- the coax cable is connected directly to the display (no cable box). I've got a bad feeling about this. - Mark

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
Mark As the TV is so new, you should be fully covered by your warranty. Let us know how you make out.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I received an email from Panasonic instructing me to call their tech support and they would try to help me over the phone. I will probably have to wait until I have some more free time during their available hours, since I'm sure I'll be on hold for a while. A few other things that have happened since my inital post: On Friday night I tried disconnecting the HDMI cable, and the picture returned to normal after about 30 seconds. I reconnected the HDMI cable and it continued to work fine for the rest of the night, so I thought it might have been just a "handshake" issue with the receiver. But the next day, the black band returned, and disconnecting the HDMI had no immediate effect this time. But later that night, it cleared up again! FWIW, I also did a complete reset, and downloaded the latest firmware update. Today the black band is back, so I'm totally at a loss. With any luck, the Panasonic tech support will be able to walk me through a solution, and if that fails, I'll have to have the service center come out and repair it under warranty. Not the end of the world, obviously, but still rather annoying. Naturally, I'm still open to suggestions. :) - Mark

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Just a quick update: I finally called Panasonic's Tech Support (I had been on vacation), but they were unable to offer any assistance over the phone. They did forward my info to a local service center, who contacted me and ordered parts (including a "triage kit" [?]) based on my description of the problem. Once the parts arrive, they will then come out and service the unit, most likely next week. So, for now, I continue to wait. - Mark

Mark_TB

Second Unit
The local service center picked up my HDTV on Wednesday morning and brought it back Friday morning. Everything seems to be working fine again, so I'm satisfied. I have no idea what was wrong with it. My invoice only shows some part numbers, which mean nothing to me, and the only people I had direct contact with were the delivery team. Now I can watch football in HD this weekend! :D - Mark

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Part numbers can be referenced through a parts distributor. I (and others) can look them up if you are interested. Even plugging them into "Google" might give you answers.

Users who are viewing this thread