What's new

Help, Onkyo 805 DolbyHD and DTS HD (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Im new to the high def world, and need some help. I upgraded my old Denon 2802 to an Onkyo 805 for the new surround formats. (And better everything
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I own a sharp blu-ray disk player. I hooked it up via HDMI. I put in a disk, and select the DolbyTrueHD or DTS HD track in the menu, and press play. When it starts, the receiver only plays in Normal DD or DTS. I am pretty sure it will light up the 'HD" portion of the display when it plays the lossless audio track. I checked the menu's on both the receiver, and the player. Everything is set to "Auto." Im only running 5.1, but I read it will will play fine.

What could be the problem? The manual doesn't give me an answer as far as I could tell. Is it possible my HDMI cable is the issue? Im not sure if its 1.3 or not..I didn't think it mattered. Any help/advise would be great! Thanks a bunch in advance.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you were previously connecting your BluRay player to your old receiver via digital optical/coax, you may not have it setup properly for outputting high-res audio. Have you setup your BD player to bitstream its audio output via HDMI to your receiver?

marcIs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
marc turcotte
ha Matthew i went through the same thing as you. i own the onkyo txsr 876. your amp will pick up on it automatically if the signal is being sent to it proper. As for your hdmi cable it will work just fine as long as you dont have the signal coming through "pcm". my blu-ray will not do dts master. your sharp may not either. This makes me mad. if your bluray is 6 mths or older check with the manufacture if it can do the the newer dts ver, you may need a firmwhere update. As Scott said change it to bitstream, not pcm or pcm down mix, this will only give you the core dd and core dts. Ps i thought these newer receivers were going to make things easy, "ya right".

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
ok thanks, Ill try after work today. But im sure I went into the blu ray and set everything correct. I selected "auto" for sound formats. I have updated the firmware once already. Its about 6 months old..

Brent_S

Second Unit
Assuming you have the HP20U, the manual says you need to select "HDMI OUTPUT" on the "Audio Out" menu. If you didn't change this when you swapped the 805 for the Denon, your player is still using the SPDIF connection, which can't pass TrueHD/DTS-HD. Just to eliminate it, I'd disconnect all cables except the HDMI cable. Also, make sure the 805's HDMI Audio Out = OFF.

-Brent

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
It doesn't have a "U" in the model number, but thats the one. I don't want to use the preouts. Whats the point of HDMI if I do? Besides, I need them free for my Sony SACD player.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
So I selected 'PCM" on my sharp bd player, and it just reads "multich" on the receiver. I went to "auto" and im back to playing the core tracks. I pressed the audio 1 and 2 button in case that helped, but it just went to french. So Im stumped. Me sharp may not play DTS HD, but it wont even play DolbyHD which has a decal on the front of the player. I have looked all threw the menu. It does not appear that I have a set up issue..

UPDATE

I did some more searching, and found that the Sharp Blu-ray disk player is HDMI 1.2, and can not send lossless audio to be decoded. It must be PCM via HDMI or analog. So I guess it does work. Time to buy a better player I guess. DAMMMN.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree with Brent. Did you try disconnecting all cables except HDMI out from the BD player? If yuo do this and get no audio, then you know your BD player is not set properly to output via HDMI. What you're describing sounds like what would happen if you tried playing a lossless track using SPDIF out.

PS - I also have the 805, and it plays lossless tracks from my Magnavox BD player just fine.

Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon.

John

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

There should be no difference in the end result. Let your player decode and send as PCM. All the DSPs and Audyssey will work on the 805 and it should sound fine.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
It sounds great. But my player does not say which audio track it's playing. I would perfer to know for for sure. But for now, it's fine. Im going to trade my dad bd players lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks