What's new

Help on HD audio connections (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
So through basic research, it seems like stereo receivers that can decode DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD are still kinda new and expensive.

On the Dolby page here: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...HD_avrs_2.html

It says : If your A/V receiver is equipped with 5.1 or 7.1 external audio inputs, the selection of an optical player equipped with 5.1- or 7.1-channel line-level outputs will provide full-bandwidth reproduction of the audio signal originating from your HD player.

This is what I'd probably have to do. However, my receiver only has 5.1 inputs. And most receivers I've seen only have 5.1 inputs. And the Blu Ray player a friend has only has 5.1 outputs.

So what happens if I want to hear 7.1 in a high res format? How would the signal be processed? Does it even matter? (In other words, are there even 7.1 discs out there?)

Thanks for looking.

Todd

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've heard of one title, that is 7.1, but don't remember what it was.

If you only have 5.1 analog inputs, I don't know of any options of getting 7.1, through the analog inputs, short of buying another receiver or amp, that has them.

Not all HD-DVD or Blu ray players (ps3) have the analog outputs. So, that's something to watch for. You're also supposed to get the HD audio over HDMI, with receivers like the Onkyo TX-SR605 or higher. The 605's price isn't bad at all.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...activeda669-20
May can find it even cheaper..............

Todd K

Second Unit
I guess my next question would be, what happens to those other two channels if you use the analog outputs? I think my friend's Blu-Ray player only has 5.1 output.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If it's a 5.1 movie, I guess the other two channels are ignored.
The other two channels will only get used in a 7.1 movie, unless they are matrixed into the soundtrack. I'm not sure you can set it to matrix the other speakers (Dolby Pro Logic IIx), while using the analog inputs.

I don't have a setup like this, so I'm not speaking from experience. Trying to remember all I've read, and just work it out in my mind. Maybe someone with the setup will chime in, and give details.............

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks