1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

help on building dipole surrounds

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sam_Walls, May 18, 2004.

1. Sam_Walls

Sam_Walls Member

I want to build a set of dipolar surround sound speakers. The speakers that i am going to use is a 6ohm Vifa speaker (part# 299-492) and a 8ohm Dayton Audio 1/8 tweeter (part# 275-075).

My receiver (Sony STRDE895) puts out 110 watts @ 8ohms. So will it be ok to run a 8ohm tweeter and a 6 ohm speaker.

So when building dipole surrounds how would i build the enclosure. Mostly how much airspace is needed for these speakers. I know one speaker and tweeter are wired out of phase of another. Does there need to be a divider in the middle of the enclosure? Also should surrounds be ported of sealed?

Lastly what about the crossove, what kind of crossover should i use? Do surrounds need different crossovers than front speakers?

Thank you for your time,

2. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Well-Known Member

Sam,
    I have a few pics of the DiPoles I built for my theater. http://www.keelercables.com/keeler_theatre.htm This may help get your mind thinking. One thing you can do if you are not comfortable designing the enclosure and/or crossover network yourself is you can contact Madisound ( http://www.madisound.com/ ), and they will design the crossover and give you the recommended enclosure specs using a program called LEAP for about $35.00. Just tell them the drivers and design you are needing and the take it over from there. Hope this helps. Shawn Keeler

3. Sam_Walls

Sam_Walls Member

awesome. Another ? is it ok to use 6 ohm speakers and 8 ohm tweeters? would it be better to use the same ohm configuration?

4. Shawn Keeler

Depending on the overall impedance of the finished speaker you are trying to accomplish, but you can.

5. Sam_Walls

Sam_Walls Member

My reciever is puts out is rated at 110 watts at 8ohm for the rear surrounds and center channels. SO i think 8 ohm final load will be best,

sam

6. Shawn Keeler

Perfect!!

7. TimForman

TimForman Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a dipole with a single woof and a single tweet. If you look at Shawn's there are two tweeters firing on different axes. If you're looking for a high dispersion two driver/two-way solution consider having the woofer fire forward and the tweeter fire up or to the side at an angle. Or pick up a copy of Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and build his surround speakers (which has 3 drivers btw). You're not going to have a dipole design by simply wiring the woofer and tweeter out of phase. Your receiver is "rated" at an 8 ohm load but I'm sure it would handle +-4 ohms either direction on the effects channel.