1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by HarpoM, Mar 10, 2013.

1. HarpoM

HarpoM Auditioning

Hi. I'm new to this forum and I hope you can answer a question for me. I want to connect my computer to my Pioneer Stereo Receiver. As I have it connected now, I have an HDMI cable from the back of my computer to the HDMI port on the receiver. I can view the display from my computer on my television, but there is no sound. Currently I have to use desktop computer speakers to hear sound. I purchased an rca to 8mm cable thinking I could get audio that way. After plugging in the rca to all ports on the receiver, I still get no sound. Can someone point me in the right direction? My receiver is a Pioneer VSX - 521 I'm at a loss

2. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

I'm not familiar with this exact receiver but typically they don't like to mix analogue (RCA) with digital (HDMI) signals. like HDMI video and RCA audio... there could be a setting for each input on what to use? Make sure the RCA is plugged into the same named input as the HDMI for a start.

3. HarpoM

HarpoM Auditioning

I think there is a setting on my computer that I need to make. I thought that by connecting the HDMI to the receiver, I would get sound, but I only get video. I don't think the model of the receiver matters much. Do you think I need to make a change on my computer?

4. HarpoM

HarpoM Auditioning

On attachment one is my sound configuration. It shows no HDMI configuration option. I went online, and I should see what I am attaching in the second attachment. Is this where I should look? [ATTACHMENT=488][ATTACHMENT=489]Document1.rtf (4,727k. rtf file)[/ATTACHMENT][/ATTACHMENT] I have a feeling I need to make an adjustment on my computer as I thought HDMI was for audio and video?

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I don't really know anything about computers or how they interact ith receivers but there is one thing to check on the receiver. Go into the Audio Parameters menu (there's a button on the remote) and scroll down to HDMI and make sure AMP is selected and not Through. Amp should be the default setting but sometimes things get changed.

6. HarpoM

HarpoM Auditioning

well, I'm a dolt. I do not have HDMI to HDMI. I have a DVI to HDMI cable running to my receiver, which is probably why I don't have sound. Looks like I'll need to buy an HDMI card and a new cable. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your replies

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    As long as you figured it out, that's all that matters.

8. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Careful when you purchase the HDMI card. HDMI is capable of sound and video but it can be for just video. For example if you have a video card with HDMI out it will probably not output sound as well. Make sure it will do both.

9. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    If your computer has a mini-toslink, you can use this... http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Digital-Optical-Toslink-Converter/dp/B0038XNTWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363017004&sr=1-1&keywords=dvi-toslink+hdmi And with your present situation...you can use this, if the computer doesn't have mini-toslink... http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Inserter-Embedder-Converter-SPECIALTY-AV/dp/B005PRDN9S/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363017094&sr=1-3&keywords=dvi-analog+hdmi