What's new

Help me with this decision...Infocus X1 or Matinee 1HD (1 Viewer)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
I ordered an Infocus X1 from [email protected] based on some recommendations I have read here. He seems very knowledgeable and has answered all my questions. I told him I needed the projector by Friday (yesterday) and as it turned out the Infocus X1 wasn't in stock, so he sent me this one (Matinee 1HD). I am not sure if it was a mistake on his part or he sent it because I told him I needed a projector. On his website the Matinee 1HD is also called the Sanyo PLV-Z1.

First off, I would like to start by saying I have never seen either projector in action. The things I like about the Matinee 1HD are the component inputs and widescreen display.

I am still waiting to receive the Infocus X1. In anticipation of the X1, I have already ordered the Infocus component to VESA adaptor (which will allow me to input a progressive signal since that is the type of DVD player I have).

Eventually, I would like to create a HTPC to run whichever projector I decide to keep. The prices for the two are within $50 of each other. So my questions are:

Looking at the specs of both projectors, will the Infocus be any better? People have said on the forum that the actual output of the Infocus X1 is around 700 lumens which is the specs for the Matinee 1HD

Is the Matinee 1HD really a Sanyon PLV-Z1? Is it lower quality because it is rebadged?

I will watch mostly widescreen DVDs on the projector-I like the Matinee 1HD because it allows a larger widescreen image than the Infocus X1 (this is my assumptioin-because of the widescreen display of the Matinee 1HD.

Please help me decide.

PatrickJames

Auditioning
check out the following: www.avsforum.com and then choose the "digital projectors under 5,000" forum. You can do a further search for either of these projectors and come up with a whole pile of good/great information.

I have the PLV-Z1 and love it. Great projector, and not just for the price, it's really a superb value. There are people out there who feel the same way about the X1 - I chose the LCD-based Z1 over the X1 because I was mildly affected by rainbows - and I prefer the 16x9 format of the Sanyo/Matinee.

The advantage to the avs forum is: it's a great place to learn and is more specifically about models, types of projectors, etc. so it's easier to compare technologies and manufacturers.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mathew:

Just so you know. HTF is a great place to come and ask these questions too and a great place to learn.

From the people that I have talked with that deal with these projectors every day they really think that the Z1 is a great value for the dollars that you spend. If you like the picture from the unit then I say keep it.

The basic models that have been compared lately in the under $2,000 range are the X1, Z1, Panasonic 300u and the Sony HS 10. A lot of good things have been said about all of them.

The bottom line is how does the picture look to you. If they pictures look great then I would keep it and save the extra cash even though its only $50. Or you could ask the guy you bought it from to go ahead and send you the X1 and then do a direct comparison yourself.

In the end it is what looks best to YOU and not what the numbers are.

Parker

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Definitely I'd demo both units!

You might be affected by DLP rainbows. If so, and everything else was equal (equivalent picture quality), then I'd go for the Z1.

Also, you may want to have some friends come over to help you decide.

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mathew,

I've had my X1 for a little less then a month. I love it but I will be the first to tell you that the rainbows do exist. After adding some good cables and calibrating the PJ they are now hardly noticeable for me. I'm told that using a HTPC pretty much takes care of the rainbows but I use a dvd player and i don't see myself changing that anytime soon.

Gabrielle

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses I was able to demo both and decided upon the X1. I do see some rainbows, but I like the overall picture better. I am very happy with it so far, and am waiting to build my HTPC to make it look even better.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Mathew: just a heads up.

In the next few months Samsung will be coming out with a new dvd player with output 720p and 1080i which is said to be comparable to a HTPC. If your projector has dvi then you are all set. This pj msrp will be $349.

Congrats

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks