1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me with these banana plugs please

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cagri, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Cagri

Cagri Well-Known Member

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index....tl.php&p=43711

I have got these banana plugs. I can't figure out how to use them. Well, actually it is almost impossible to use them the way I figure... There is a screw which is very small, and the hole which I assume for the cable to be inserted is very thin, my cables don't fit in there. There is this second hole above the screw hole, I don't know what that hole is for. I thought banana plugs were produced to fit almost all types of speaker cable. I didn't notice that "4mm", and I guess that means they are OK for cable upto 4mm thick? I bought 10 pairs of them and no returns, will be a pity if they come out useless.. Any idea if I can use them with my cables?

2. Chris Drenner

Chris Drenner Active Member

3. Chris Drenner

Chris Drenner Active Member

4. Mat_M

Mat_M Well-Known Member

From that picture I can't tell much, but there are banana plugs specifically made for testing circuits, and yours just might be in that category. If they are, then the website should not be listing them as 'hifi' connectors. If the banana plugs do happen to be in this category, my guess is that you're out of luck because the hole for the wire you describe seems about right for small circuitry wire. I have several of these types of plugs in my lab. Is there a hole in the bottom of the plugs to run the speaker wire up into the plug?

5. Cagri

Cagri Well-Known Member

Chris, thanks for the link. They don't seem to be shipping internationally, and I actually can find that type of banana plugs here as well... It's just I didn't think cable type would matter and happened to order these. Maybe I'll solder them in that might work.

Any comments about the hole above the screw?

6. Mat_M

Mat_M Well-Known Member

If what I said above holds true, the holes above the screws are just for inserting other banana plugs. An example would be using a multimeter as in this picture:
    [​IMG]
    You could then view two loads in parallel by placing banana plugs into the holes.

7. Cagri

Cagri Well-Known Member

Mat, yes there is a hole in the bottom for the wire to go in but it is a very thin and short hole, 3mm or so and if I insert my cable in there there's no space for the screw to hold it there. They should specify on their web site that these plugs were for cable upto a certain gauge. Anyway, will see if I can use them otherwise they'll be resting in my toolbox to eternity [​IMG]

And you are right, the other holes must be for inserting other banana plugs. They are no use to me. Thanks.