What's new

Help me with my dream... (1 Viewer)

North

Auditioning
Hi everybody, First I'd just like to say what a great, informative forum you have going here...(cue dramatic forum brotherhood music). Also, please forgive me if you've heard this question a 1000 times before, but I’d just like a nudge in the right direction. Of course I’m prepared to do most of the legwork myself and enjoy doing so.

Here's the deal:

- My budget is around $2000 for a receiver and speakers but possibly more if it means a BIG difference (lets just say I'm not going to miss an extra 400 bucks if it means I will be sitting on the living room floor weeping at the beautiful sound). I was thinking no more than $1200 for the receiver.

- I'm living in a small apartment right now so the sound stage will be in close quarters for the moment--Approx:13X13. We intend to get a bigger place in the next couple of years however, so I'd like the system to fit a larger room later.

- Our listening/viewing habits are about 50/50 between music and movies. I have to say I’m a big fan of feeling the floor rumble from the cannons when I watch “Master and Commander” but I really enjoy being able to hear the dialogue clearly as well. That being said, I love nothing more than to pour myself a good drink, kick back, and listen to Paul Chambers pluck at his bass while John Coltrane breathes into his sax on "Kind of Blue". Sometimes you'll even catch me floating away to good choir music like Arvo Pärt’s: Kanon Pokajanen. There’s really nothing quite like hearing those angelic voices ringing through your living room. Don’t get me wrong though, I like to rock out too, so I'll often throw on some Tragically Hip and groove to "Grace Too" or "Poets". I suppose the ratio of importance would be something like 70% music to 30% movies.

- The equipment I have right now is really not worth mentioning, but let’s say I auditioned a Bryston-Axiom combo once (way out of my budget) and never quite forgot the experience (some day they will be mine).

- I live in Spain at the moment (another story) and I've been flirting with a Denon AVR 3802 (1200€ which seems a little steep actually) at the local electronics store. So any suggestions in this league would be greatly appreciated (most brands are available here so don't hold back).

- Also, if anyone knows of any options I may have for buying in North America and having the equipment shipped to Europe I'd love to hear them. The Euro is quite high against the dollar right now so this could be a viable option.

Thanks to anybody who replies.
North.

Jimi C

Screenwriter

too long for me.. i made it to the part when you said you were considering $1200 out of your $2000 budget for a receiver and thats where i stopped. If i were you i probably would not spend more than $500-$600 on a receiver and spend the larger portion of my money on speakers. But then again.. wtf do i know.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d second that.

You might want to scale back on that “feel the floor rumble” thing until you get out of the apartment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

North

Auditioning

Understood. We are in a new building right now though with no neighbors until after Xmas. The noise of construction is already shaking the floor (some guy is drilling beneath me as I write) so I'm ready to cut loose with some cannons in a week or two while I have the chance.

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
North,...
I think we all understand wanting the whole pie right now, but I might add, there is something to be said for buying it one time. True, technology changes fast, and it won't be long before you want something cutting edge, but then there is the idea of just how much better is the new processing over the old. These days there is smaller jumps in performance than days past.
You mentioned before, purchasing gear for the room you plan to have would be the way to go. Unless you can afford to buy it all twice, you may want to look at some very good quality used gear. Purchase as if you were putting it in the room to come, and only buy it one time. It will cost much more, and take longer to get it all put together, but when the time comes to place it all in it's final destination,...your set. Notice I didn't say "done",...;) Ha! We are never "done",.... Just a thought.

>>>--->

Chip E

Screenwriter
Your speakers should get the most money, no doubt. For less than $500.00 you could get a Pioneer 1014 receiver with plenty of power and all the bells & whistles. Spend every other dime on speakers. Audtion.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I agree with the other posters...put the bulk of your budget toward speakers. High-quality speakers can last a lifetime, but receivers will always have to be upgraded due to advances in technology, surround setups, etc. As an alternative to a receiver, try searching the used market for a good power amp, and then use a decent middle-of-the-road receiver to feed it. That way, you'll also have an amp that is of higher quality and theoretically shouldn't need upgraded anywhere in the near future as well...

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
As mentioned above, put most of the money in an excellent set of speakers. If you want those cannons to shake your building apart simply buy a good powered sub-woofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks