What's new

Help me watch the Terminator films (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
He didn't kill them until they started giving him trouble.

Also, he was pretty polite to the gun salesman until he shot him. I don't know why he went through the rigamarole of dealing with the saleman, when he could have simply killed the guy and taken his choice of guns.

Also, he gave the police desk guy the chance to let him see Sara before driving a car into him.

DannyS

Second Unit
I disagree, I like the 5.1 sound of The Terminator, and since they've never seen it, they aren't missing anything by skipping the mono sound.
oh oh ah! BUT YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

go and listen to the opening titles in mono and then in 5.1

The ORIGINAL theme tune is better! It has metal scraping noises and sounds darker

fidel re recorded some if not ALL of the score for the 5.1 mix.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Just wondering if anyone know if the 2 disc R2 Japan Terminator Ultimate Edition (sans DTS track) is the same as the old MGM Special Edition?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would actually suggest watching the shorter theatrical cut first. I'm glad I saw it that way before I saw the extended version - now I might prefer the longer cut of the film, but I think I'm able to appreciate it as much as I do because I liked the theatrical cut so much. The theatrical cut isn't short - it's over two hours - so watch that first. If you find you enjoyed the characters and want to learn more about them, then by all means you should put on the special edition and watch that.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Only two things stopped me from buying the Extreme Edition of T2: 1. the lack of the better, IMHO, DTS-ES matrix track that is on the Ultimate Edition, and 2. the fact that one day soon there will be a true high definition version of T2 to own (possibly on Blu-Ray).

#2 is a more compelling reason why I am rapidly decreasing my regular DVD purchases (except for Disney animated titles as they usually take forever to be released on new video formats), and becoming highly selective about which films I double dip on.

Oh, and T1 SE via MGM is actually Dolby Digital EX 5.1, so even better if you have DTS-ES and Dolby EX decoding capabilities and back surround speakers!

Reese is John Connor's father. John found out the time travel paradox, gave Reese the photo of his mom and gave him the spiel that she was this wonderful person when he met Reese in the future to plant the seeds of love and then sent Reese back to not only protect his mother, but insure his own existence. Without Reese's built up worship-complex/fixation for the mother of the resistance's leader they would not have had sex and John would never have been conceived in the first place.

IMHO, it doesn't matter which cut of T2 is more consistent with T3 as I felt T3 was a poor cousin to Cameron's original vision. I also feel the extended cut (not the super duper long cut with original upbeat ending) of T2 is the superior version. Without the added scenes of the T-1000 the climax before the ending in the theatrical cut doesn't make sense, besides making Arnold's switch to a more compassionate cyborg more reasonable.

Dan

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Never midn the fact that the series is entirely self-contradictory. First, if John Connor had never been born, then the humans would have lost, and Reese wouldn't have been sent back. In addition, the terminator was his own design, Skynet could never have been built. IE the past depends on the future, something that is impossibile.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
The only Terminator I own is the LaserDisc releases.

ID2940NSBTerminator*(1984)LBX/THX1995 USA

PILF-1297*Terminator*(1984)LBX1991Japan

The THX LD picture is pretty good (for LD anyway) when scaled. Anyone think it's a good idea to get the 5.1 versions, is it that much better/worse then the LD PCM? I was going to get the D-Theater version but that never came out.

Todd K

Second Unit
I am now embarrassed I even suggested the whole thing about who John's father is. I failed to pay enough attention to that post on the IMDB to realize the poster was either joking or is a complete nut:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0088247/board/nest/2202067

I just thought that because we don't see John in the first movie, and I saw the mention of an oedipus complex in the above thread, that there was maybe some ongoing discussion about it, similar to whether or not Deckard is a replicant in Blade Runner.

Rented T2 tonight from Blockbuster, will watch it within the next 7 days. They only had the Extreme Edition. Another local store had the Ultimate Edition, but since I'm not interested in extras right now, all the extra footage is in both editions, I figured I'd do the EE for the better picture.

Will report back soon.

Todd K

Second Unit
OK, an update:

Right after I rented T2, I had to leave town unexpectedly, so I haven't watched it yet.

However, I did rent it again for another 7 days, so I will be watching it shortly.

One question: Where exactly on the Extreme edition do I access the two scenes that weren't included in the special edition cut of the movie? I didn't see any listings for them in the menus, so can I assume they are part of the interactive mode of the movie? If so, where?

Thanks,
Todd

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
They should be in the extreme viewing mode.

The two scenes in question are T-1000 searching John Connor's bedroom.. probably just after he kills the dog, and realises he's been duped by Arnold.

The Future Coda ending would be just before the "measure of hope" speech ending.

The viewing mode text will point you in the right direction.

Todd K

Second Unit
Well.

I watched Terminator 2 last night. I can certainly see what all the hype is about. I was very entertained. And while it always takes a while for my true opinions to form about a movie, I was initally impressed with this one.

It had a different feel than the first one, so I won't say I liked it better. This one wasn't so much about man vs. machine, but rather it was just a cool action-adventure.

I watched the longer version on the Extreme Edition. I was happy I did. Even though it ran 2 1/2 hours, I never felt it dragged, and found most of the extra scenes to be worthwhile.

I was wowed by the special effects as well. They were better than a lot of things you see in movies today. Bravo to all involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks