What's new

Help me waste money on a car (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll second the Nissan 350z pick...

or wait for the 350z roadster/convertible, due later this fall:

My Brother-in-Law just started working at a Nissan dealership in Illinois...and I hope to be getting a good discount on one (if I can?) later this year...they will be selling like hotcakes though, so i may have to wait a little while longer until the demand cools...

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Matt DeVillier

Nice pic... I like the painted lowers :emoji_thumbsup:

I was interested in the A4 1.8T quattro, but 170HP in that heavy of a car doesn't make sense.

For the money, you can't beat the smile factor a WRX will give you. Hell, if you are going to cap at $36K, go for the WRX STi... now that should be a great ride!

Mike D.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
For the money, you can't beat the smile factor a WRX will give you. Hell, if you are going to cap at $36K, go for the WRX STi... now that should be a great ride!
True. You can pick up a used 2002 for 17k too. No need for a large car payment. In fact, I know someone (me) selling one :D

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Mike_D:

I just got mine "chipped" and gained ~38HP and ~70ft/lb of torque. The 1.8T engine, even at 170HP stock, makes a lot of sense since it's so easy to modify it and get a lot more performance. Audi has it at 225HP in the TT so you know it's capable with a few tweaks :)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Matt DeVillier

True about the chipping. I guess I'm not the type that likes to mod (just yet anyway). I decided my next Audi (had a 2.8 quattro before I got my WRX) will be a S4. No shortage of power there. The WRX is holding me over till then (and saving me money).

Back to the 170HP though... it just really got under my skin that Audi has yet to increase the power. With the redesign in 2002, the new A4 gained wieght. The 3.0 V6 made up for the weight with 30 more HP (still not much though) than the older 2.8, while the 1.8T remainded the same. And with the HP wars going on, you'd think Audi would want a chunk... as you mentioned, the TT's 1.8T puts out 225HP. I think the 1.8T should have around 220 HP and the 3.0 should be 250+ One day maybe...

Mike D.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
The SRT-4 puts down more HP to the wheels then they advertise at the crank! Nice job Dodge :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
You think torquesteer is a problem in the maxima :eek:

also, FWD+no LSD=one wheel burnouts of death with the SRT-4 :)

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Mike_D:

didn't they bump the HP on the 1.8T from 150 to 170 when they switched from the B5 to B6 platform? HP is just a marketing number anyway. I was handily beating V6 mustangs and ~200HP preludes even before I was chipped.

also, they now have the ability to program the ECU via the serial port - no messy soldering or removing the ECU. Fast, simple, and effective

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Matt,

I believe they bumped the HP to 170 in 2000. I may be off by half a year (Audi is one of the few automakers I know of that do half year changes).

I will give the 1.8T credit for it's flat torque curve which hits it's max at 1950 RPM's. I also believe it reaches ULEV requirments, but not 100% sure.

Philip_G,

That's true! I think MOPAR makes a LSD for it now. And they staged kits they are making... good to see this!

Mike D.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
we'll see how tyhe SRT4 does. INCREDIBLE HP for the price. If the damn thing can hook up it's going to be killer in the 1/4 mile. Can't speak for the handling yet though.
OK I'm going to stop hijacking the thread now. I keep pushing it further and further off course :)

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
my buddy's new SRT4 is quite nice for the price. He said the suspension is a little soft but he has not adjusted it yet. He agrees that the HP rating from the factory is under rated.

he got off the line faster than his friends highly moded (super huge turbo) AWD early/mid 90's Laser/Tallon. So I would think that getting that HP to the pavement is not to big of a deal. + its only running 12 psi of boost!

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Off course is cool, at least in threads. It's interesting stuff.

Wow, lotsa great input. I don't know if I'm really after the "pocket rocket" thing this time out (WRX, SRT-4, Lancer Evo). Ten years ago, maybe (when I couldn't have afforded it, natch). My last car was an RSX Type-S, which I picked over the WRX because it was more refined, if not as balls-out insanely powerful. (The interior of the WRX just didn't seem like a $25,000 car.)

Ryan

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
I vote for the Infiniti G35 Coupe. Only because I picked one up in March. 280HP and 270LBTQ and it's a little more refined than the 350Z. Plus you get a bigger trunk and a somewhat functional rear seat.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Ryan we have the same tastes, I love both the RSX and G35c. My "realistic" dream car is a carribean blue G35c sport with that sexy spoiler. I love the way the 3.5L Nissan VQ's sound when you rev em up (actually all their engines have sounded great), plus there's a lot less g35 coupes out on the road compared to Z's that I see.

E

Eric Kahn

In that price range you can get a really nice 1 year old corvette, they are good road trip cars now, get close to 30 mpg on the highway and with the hatchback glass, you can actually carry luggage
the only drawback is that fact that it only has 2 seats

also, right at the top of your price range you can get a 4motion passat w8 sedan right now, some heavy discounts on them and it is basically an audi a6 with a VW emblem on it, would be worth a test drive

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My perspective is obviously going to be favored since I drive a BMW 330xi, but I think it's one of the funnest cars I have ever driven.

The 'xi' is an all wheel drive and was pretty great in the snow (as apposed to the rear-wheel versions which aren't known for being great in snow).

The one thing I would have to say about a BMW is a quote I heard from a friend: "You have to want a BMW to drive a BMW"

Most people who drive them, wanted them right from the get go, if you are really trying to decide between a beamer and something else, then I would probably suggest the 'something else'. Although, the one thing that hooked me right in was when I test drove one. I was blown away at the handling and I don't regret buying it. Every last penny was well worth it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Saab 9-3 SE would be my choice...of course maybe because I hope to buy one tomorrow, if all workd out.:D

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Ryan,

I'm in the same position as you I think. I'll be looking for a new coupe sometime within the next year. I literally just made the last payment on my '99 Honda Prelude today. I only have 50,000 miles on it, and have pretty much babied it all of it's life, but you start to get an itch after a while. For now, without even getting behind the wheel of any of these, my short list contains (for coupes only):

- Acura CL Type-S (this is actually my front runner; damn Hondas run forever)
- Mazda RX-8 (almost compelled to check this thing out)
- Infiniti G30 (RWD in the St. Louis could be a nightmare in winters though)
- Can't really think of anything else off the top of my mind.

I personally feel that BMW has gotten too big for their britches over the past few years. I believe that they are overpriced by a significant margin, witht he 3 series about $2500 - $4000 overpriced depending on options. Not to mention the fact that dealer don't move on them that much, as everybody wants one anymore. I may be sold on the Japanese automakers for a long while. I believe they provide the best value for your money from a pure technical, on the paper point of view. Although, cars are like speakers, you just have to audition them. You'll know after driving them, trust me, that's how I ended up with the Prelude over the Accord. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks