What's new

Help me spend $250 on a Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I'm ready to buy anytime. I'd like to keep it under $250 including shipping. I just don't know jack about subs.

I'm in a basement. Concrete Floor. Putting in carpet. Small room 11' x 14'. My other speakers are mostly highs (Infinity satellite speakers). My infinity sub blew out. It wasn't that great anyway.

I tried before to order the Velodyne VX-10, but the place I tried to order it from said it was out of stock. So, now I'm on the search again. Some people mentioned "Dayton", but what model I don't know. If there are other ones that are better, please let me know, and if you can recommend a link or place to get it, all the better.

I have a local CC, Ultimate Elec, RC Willey, and then a Best Buy about an hour away. I just wouldn't know who to trust since last time the CC guy got me to buy the low end Infinity sub. Thanks in advance.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Great! thanks for the links!

So, judging from that:

1. Is the Velodyne CHT-8 better than the VX-10?

2. The AR is only $98! Wow. Is that one really good for the money, or is that just a low end sub? Maybe there's a step up from that?

3. Lastly, Do you think getting 2 Dayton's would give me the best sound of the choices? Is getting just one Dayton 10" better than the other choices as well?

Those are awesome low prices, but I worry if I'm going too cheap here. Are those really just great bang for the buck, or is there something with a little more kick that I can still afford?

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Lanny,

I personally have not listen to the Dayton be4. From what I've been reading, the dayton seemed to be the best bang for the buck. You can get 1 dayton for $125 to test it out first. If you don't like it, you can re-sell it back. If you like what you hear, add 1 more to beef up the system a bit. If you want something lil more kick, I said DIY sub... hop on over to DIY forum. I built myself a Tempest sub for around $370. This beast will kick your a** off the couch :D

Alex,

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Really, you guys are building your own subs? I hadn't even heard of that. Hmmm.

Well, I'd like to get two of those subs, the only issue is, I have limited walking space and I don't know if I want to find a place for 2 subs.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
You could wait and try and find a used Adire Audio Rava, HSU VTF-2/STF-2, or SVS 25-31CS (would need something other than your primary receiver to power it with). About a week ago I won an auction on eBay for a VMPS Large Subwoofer for just over $100. (Shipping not included. :frowning: However, that was expected. :))

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I have the Dayton as a secondary sub. I use it mainly behind my seating position just to provide some extra rumble. It is an excellent sub for the price. It is not boomy at all, and can almost keep up with my HSU STF-2 at not-so-low freqs (40-60 Hz). The HSU obviously goes louder and cleaner at lower frequencies (below 30 Hz), but I am very impressed by the performance and bang-for-the-buck of the Dayton.

I think if you have the room for it, you should get 2 Dayton 10" subwoofers, one for the left side of your room and the other for the right side, to provide an extremely full sound in the front. Since you would be getting 2 of them, you should call the customer service number and talk them into letting you have them for $99 each, so $198 total for both. They used to be on sale a couple of months ago for $99 and they've recently been had at $99 ;)

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The only thing on the Subwoofers For Sale page in your price range is a Klipsch KSW-10 for $250.

The Velodyne CHT 8 will have more power and output, and it also features distortion limiters, meaning that when the amplifier and the woofer can't meet the demands of the signal, it will lower the levels somewhat instead of making the driver distort.

VMPS Larger for $100 is quite a find. Of course, it's not powered, but a Parts Express 1000w plate amplifier will quickly take care of that. In fact, you could probably build a plate amp rack onto the back of the beast. Supposedly this has been tested and found good, according to some threads on AudioCircle. It's my understanding that the VMPS Larger is a very high-fidelity sub.

Marv

Stunt Coordinator
You may also want to look into the Sony SA-WX700 sub for ~$190. It's a dual 10" 250w amp. I have not heard it myself but it's supposed to be a pretty good "Bang For Your Buck" sub. Sony apparently got this one right although I think it's a little ugly/plain.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I think I'll lend my second to the WX-700. I haven't heard it myself, but its design looks good. Definitely viable, and quite small. (two 10" in a sealed box, with plenty of power)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I have the sony SA-WX700, and IMO is the best sub under $200. It doesnt have the power and capabilities of my SVS in my other setup, but I felt the bass was pretty flat and accurate, but thats my personal opinion, try to go and audition it, and decide if it is right for you.

Marv

Stunt Coordinator
There's also the Harman Kardon HKSUB 12 sub. It's a 12" 150w unit available on ebay thru Harmon Kardon Direct for ~$200. Just some FYI.

-Marv

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Jesse, I suggest you get one, at $99 you don't have much to lose. After you get your PC-Ultra, you can always do what I've done and put the Dayton in the back just to shake the couches, unless you have bass shakers.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
When thinking about two subs (since I've never considered it),
1. I just don't know where I would have room. and
2. My receiver doesn't say anything about supporting 2 subs, so I don't know if that's supposed to be done externally though a splitter or what, and
3. I'm not sure how to wire the room to get a speaker in the middle, like say, putting a sub behind the couch. Do I run the cable under the carpet or what?

Here, I drew this up. Feel free to draw over top of it. I'm just wondering where the best place to put the subwoofers are. We have a cement floor, and don't know what to put over it yet, but probably a relatively tight carpet. I'd like to put a sub behind the couch, but I worry it might block the walkway there. Maybe on the left side and then in the front right corner of the room?

If the Sony or the others are as good as two of those Daytons, then wouldn't that be best?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think you should either build your own and save money that way or wait awhile until you have like 800-1000 to spend and get an SVS. Then you will never have to upgrade.
Take it from one that has upgraded many times and had I pieced it and saved I would have saved a fortune...

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I just called Parts express and asked about the sale for $99 for the Dayton, and they said they've never had it for that sale price.

So, MuneebM, what store are you talking about that had that sale?

Where do (did) they have the Dayton sub for $99?

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Lanny,

Looks like you have a small room there. I think 1 Dayton 10" will probably do it. 2 subs would be great if you have room for it. Measure how much space do you have for the sub(s). Then make your decision. $125 for a respectable 10" sub is a steal. I say... buy the darn thing and enjoy... you got nothing to lose but $125 :D Take a swing maybe you'll hit a homerun...

Alex,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks